Benefit entitlement and part time degree study — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Benefit entitlement and part time degree study

hjc2019 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I am starting university this year to study part time for a BSc. I have applied for a tuition fee and maintenance loan on the basis of 75% course intensity, which has been approved - the final amount payable will be confirmed upon enrollment. (figures:

Tuition fee loan (paid directly to university):  £6935, Maintenance loan (paid to me): £6708, of which £2760 is disregarded as income by the DWP. 

I was wondering if you could advise me with regards to my benefit entitlement. 
I am currently in receipt of the following:

PIP: Enhanced rate daily living and Enhanced mobility
ESA: (Income Related/ Support Group/ Severe Disability/ Disability income guarantee)
Housing Benefit (to landlord): full
Council Tax reduction: full (Total weekly to pay: £0)

I am particularly concerned about losing entitlement to ESA as - as I understand it - this would leave me ineligible for Housing benefit and free prescriptions etc., obviously in that case I would be unable to continue with the course as I would effectively be homeless. I am also slightly confused re: Council tax reduction - I know FT students get this free, as a PT student would I lose this? 

Thank you, 



Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.