UC,PIP AND NEW-STYLE ESA and w — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.


mcman123 Member Posts: 9 Listener

I have recently been granted the full LCRWA sick component of UC and am also receiving the enhanced daily living component of PIP and new-style ESA.

I have a question about working whilst receiving these benefits? Is it possible to work part-time whilst receiving these? If so, am I subjected to the same rules as if I wasn't receiving the sick component? The 60p per £1 deduction or whatever it is from my UC or new-style ESA.

Also, the premise that I receive these benefits is that much of the time my mental illness prevents me from working. Would these raise huge-red flags and lead to them examining their decision (I didn't have to attend a F2F, they assessed me on paper) and potentially lead to the reexamining and possible revocation of these benefits - I can't imagine this being the case as it leads to people being trapped and whjen I do feel ready to return to work I want to be able to 'test the waters' so to speak'.

If you have the answers or any ideas, any government docs that you can back it up with would be appreciated, if you can't, that's OK.


  • mcman123
    mcman123 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    If this is the case with the rexamining, my fear would be that the work doesn't go to plan, I have a relapse into mental health crisis and I'd have to go through the painful process again.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,678 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019

    Complicated this one because you're claiming New style ESA and UC, even though your New Style ESA is deducted £1 for £1 from your UC entitlement.

    For New style ESA there's permitted work rules. For this you mustn't earn anymore than £131.50 per week. Anything over this and you won't be entitled to any ESA. Rules here.

    You must fill out a form from DWP before starting the work.

    For UC it's slightly different. As you're claiming LCWRA you will have a work allowance, which one it will be will depend on your circumstances. If you claim the housing element of UC then your work allowance will be £287 per month. If you don't claim the housing element your work allowance will be £503 per month. This means that you can earn that amount of money each month before you start to see deductions. Anything over that amount and the 63% deduction rules apply.

    I'm not 100% sure which one would apply but i'd assume it will be the work allowance for UC, so do you claim the housing element for UC?

    As always with LCWRA or LCW, if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your claim then they can re-assess you early and it can go against you when the decision is made.

    For example, if someone is claiming LCWRA because of mobilising and saying they can't walk any further then 15 metres, yet they work in a supermarket that involves lots of walking then this is contradicting what they said and can go against them next time the are re-assessed. It really depends on the reasons why you're claiming LCWRA.

    The same for PIP, yes people work and claim PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your claim then it can go against you at your review.

  • mcman123
    mcman123 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    I am claiming the housing amount so it would be £287 per month, not the ESA amount, correct?

    And it's due to mental health reasons, so I guess that it doesn't completely contradict it because the nature of my illness is one that fluctuates - suffer from BP. Would I still have to submit the form? I guess that is going to highlight it to them and lead to them potentially reexamining my case -which is not worth earning a mere £287 per month.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,678 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm assuming in you're in that group because of a substantial risk to yourself and others, which is the reason why most people with mental health are given LCWRA. Most peoples conditions fluctuate. It will totally depend what work you're thinking of doing. I'm not saying they will definitely re-assess you but it could happen.

    Yes, it will be the £287 per month work allowance but you will still need to tell ESA because you're also claiming New style ESA.
  • terrence
    terrence Member Posts: 14 Listener
    Why why would you want to work for a salary. And have the benefits available to you. There are poor people with mental illness who have no choice to work. If you are well enough to work. Congratulations on your wellbeing. Just come off benefits and let the real people who need it. You can always do volunteering if you just want to experience the work place. You can't expect benefits and payment of being employed
  • mcman123
    mcman123 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    I don't really want to justify myself to you Terrence, but I'll indulge you. People who are far more experienced in mental health than you have suggested that at some point it may help me to recover and improve my mental health if I start to introduce myself into the world of employment, the money is irrelevant but it would help me in the future if I do start to get back into paid employment appreciate the advice on volunteering but that would be a massive step back as I have done plenty of volunteering in the sector that I have typically worked in and would raise red flags.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,678 Disability Gamechanger
    @terrence As a community champion here on scope, please be mindful of your tone. Permitted work for ESA is there for a reason, it's there so that those that have medical conditions can try to return to work do a certain amount of hours per week, without it affecting their benefits. If they do decide they can cope with working then sometime in the future they can stop claiming.

    You can also earn a maximum amount of money before your benefits are affected, this is all part of the rules that come under permitted work. Volunteering also comes under permitted work.

    Some people have a disadvantage to others and it's not always that easy for someone with a health condition to work.

    This community is here to support people and not to make judgements.
  • terrence
    terrence Member Posts: 14 Listener
    Sorry you judge my tone. I was only suggesting that if a person wishes to return to work with a disability that have been diagniosed  by  Doctors and the DWP.. Ect. Finances are important yes. However surely if one wants to return to work claiming benefits. There are prospects for future full time employment if the person is capable of meeting employment needs. If a person can adapt to working life with a disability. Then I wish them all the best.. But it appeared to me that the only extra money that would be earned due to deductions of benefits. Was not worth the risk of being reassess to future claims


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.