reasonable adjustments eczema/allergies — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

reasonable adjustments eczema/allergies

Options
izzyproudfoot
izzyproudfoot Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, my son is 3 and has just started pre-school. I'm wondering what reasonable adjustments I should expect/what you've experienced.
There is a 1-8 adult-chid ratio and they aren't managing to watch him, he scratching, having allergic reactions and they aren't noticing because there are 7 other children. I feel there should be something in place to help him more and watch him. I can't have him coming home bleeding every day.

Thanks

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @izzyproudfoot

Personally I’d be looking at all my childcare options. Speak with the nursery manager about your concerns, but be prepared to withdraw him from there in case. I had similar problems trying to make local mainstream nurseries take my son with poor bladder function. I visited /emailed five or six in the area with lots of questions. All declined. So I stopped looking at that point. 

Can you afford private childcare? I eventually chose not to send my children to nursery as I take them to work with me each week (I work with children as a babysitter during the week). Ask around. Do you have any friends who can help? My neighbors watch my two if I have no other option. 

There are lots of childcare websites out there. https://www.childcare.co.uk/ is one. You have to make a account first. Or you can search for special needs childcare online.

Have you ever heard of Surestart Centres? When the twins were a baby, I found them helpful. I got lots of useful advice on employment choices and education options were discussed as well. There are activities on offer.
    You can also use your weekly childcare allowance up this way if you wish to. It is a relatively low priced alternative. Find your nearest centre and go in to see what is on offer for new daddies and mommies. It is a great way to meet new people. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @izzyproudfoot and welcome to the community. 
    This is something quite close to my heart. My youngest hasn't started nursery yet (he's only just turned one) but he has a range of severe allergies and we've been thinking ahead to how they'll be managed when he starts nursery and eventually school. I'm really sorry to read your son is having such an awful time with them at pre-school. It must be heartbreaking to have him coming home bleeding.

Have you asked them what policies and procedures they have in place to deal with allergy management? I would also push to find out if they have an allergy management plan in place for your son. I've found that there's unfortunately a lot of ignorance about allergies and the effects of them.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.