Face to face — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Face to face

stephenjohn Member Posts: 44 Courageous
edited October 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
had a message on my mobile that my wife has an appointment for a f2f in a weeks time ......sandy has N.E.S.S ...also known as drop Down syndrome....this makes travel very difficult as movement can and often does cause a seizure ......we live in Bristol and we are on holiday on the date ......."to go on holiday we need help from friends or relatives ..."
      the appointment was in Swindon a good 40/50 mile journey and was completely unsuitable.......I rang the P.I.P non help line and was told that I could only change it once and then be removed from the list........what a fabulous way to treat sick people ......now they have reluctantly agreed to move it to Bristol.........are they trying it on ! Or are they just as inept as people tell me they are ?   What happen if Sandra is sick at the time of the next F2f ........we had an indefinite award ...awarded by a judge after a review .......do a D.W.P have the power to override a judge ?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,335 Disability Gamechanger

    You say the assessment is for PIP but you've posted in the Universal credit part of the forum, can i just ask you to confirm what the face to face assessment is for?

    Canceling appointments, yes, it's correct that you can only cancel an appointment once and you must attend the next one.

    You also mention an indefinite award, is she transferring from DLA? DLA no longer exists for those aged between 16 and state pension so any indefinite awards no longer exist. DLA and PIP are different benefits with different criteria.

    When she attends the assessment she will need to answer all the questions herself, unless she has an appointee and then the appointee will be able to answer the questions on her behalf. Do be aware that she will be watched from the minute she arrives to the minute she leaves. Any evidence should have already been sent with the form to support her claim because they rarely contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is on the claimant to make sure it's sent.

    About a week after the assessment she can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to her. This will give her some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
  • stephenjohn
    stephenjohn Member Posts: 44 Courageous
    As the assessment is for p.i.p .......
  • stephenjohn
    stephenjohn Member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Been a while since I posted ,we have now been awarded p.i.p and it’s at about £40 a week less than we were on previously.........we are grateful for what we got but it is now even more difficult to survive financially.........
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,335 Disability Gamechanger
    DLA and PIP are different benefits with different criteria. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

    If your wife isn't happy with the decision and she thinks she should have scored more points then she has 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. If you're outside of this date then with good reason they will allow a maximum of 13 months to request it but you'll need to put the reason why you didn't request it within the first month.

    Face to face advice is needed before requesting the MR and you should speak to an advice agency near you.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for updating us @stephenjohn, I'm sorry to hear it is less than previously though. If you need any further advice then please do let us know.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.