Newly diagnosed with Crohns — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Newly diagnosed with Crohns

Options
paulv2
paulv2 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have just in the last 3 months been diagnosed with Crohn's - however, I think I have had this for years. I remember going to the Doctors 5 years ago and they sent me for sigmoidoscopy camera which wouldn't of picked up Crohn's anyway.

I am also on this PROFILE trial - has anyone heard of it or are on it?

Does anyone have any recent experiences on apply of PIP? I will be ringing next week to start the claim.

Thanks!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I can't help with the Crohn's question but do be aware that PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Evidence will be needed to support your claim and the evidence should state how your conditions affect you.

When filling out the form you should put as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Having some understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean will help because it's very easy to over score yourself and think "i should score this many points" but when you take a closer look and do some research, it may not be possible to score as many points as you first thought.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @paulv2 . When you were enrolled in the clinical trial they should have given you some information about what they are trying to achieve 

http://www.crohnsprofiletrial.com/

You might find this link helpful. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @paulv2 and a warm welcome to the community! How are you doing?
    Scope

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @paulv2
    Welcome to the community! I have Ulcerative Colitis so I understand about Crohns Disease. Have you heard of Crohns and Colitis UK?
    They say:

"We understand that living with long-term health conditions like Crohn’s or Colitis may have an impact on your financial situation. 

You could be entitled to benefits to help you support yourself. Read on for information on some of the key benefits, and to find out how to access help with applications via our Information Service.

How we can help 

• Our Helpline staff can answer your general questions about Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance for children (DLA).  
    • We provide easy to read guides on PIP and DLA for children. 
    • Disability Benefit Service. A 30 minute appointment where our volunteers can discuss your eligibility and help with completing the form. If turned down, we can also help with the mandatory reconsideration. Telephone appointments with DBS volunteers can be made by calling the Helpline"

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.