Esa support group - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa support group

2»

Comments

• hello20
    hello20 Community member Posts: 98 Connected
    Hello can someone advise me an my partner are bck an I reported change to dwp who told me I need to fill a change of circumstance form which I recieved today I need to add her details send bck I asked she has uc claim shall I go in it they said fill the book in an return  an then we will decide can some one please advise is this information correct an when my partner told uc they said add partner to joint claim an his esa will loose £1 to £1 on her uc credit as partner the couple rates  it’s 498 a month an I recieve £512 a month as single claimant they said my payments will stay the same till I fill in this booklet an return the dwp are so confusing any advise plz
  • hello20
    I’m on support group is that not gonna be taken in account in the uc as they said she will recieve 498 when I join an they will take £1 for £1 of the uc rate
  • Tinkerbell44
    Tinkerbell44 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    My friend was in the sane position she added her man but she lost her support money. It’s how they work it out they obviously can’t give you more than anyone else so basically they take both your claims and put it into a joint uc rather than a separate one each.... you will still get the standard living allowance each but I think it may be one payment a bit less than the two if that bakes sence, that’s what happened with my friend I couldn’t be 100%.
    im on living allowance, lcwra, child allowance and my rents paid, - I’m over £1200 a month but it’s mainly due to me having my boy and my health. My friend and her partner are on £644 roughly no kids tho and she doesn’t get her support allowance. There are 2 support groups yours is the lower rate, mines is lcwra high rate.
    Hope you go ok. Good luck.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    hello20 said:
    I’m on support group is that not gonna be taken in account in the uc as they said she will recieve 498 when I join an they will take £1 for £1 of the uc rate
    Is your ESA Contributions based on Income related? or is it contributions based with an income related top up? If it's this one then you'll remain on Contributions based ESA (£111.65 per week) this will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC claim, which you need to claim as a couple, as previously advised.

You'll receive couples standard rate plus the LCWRA for yourself for UC, with the deductions made for what you receive for ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @hello20. Is your partner still claiming Universal Credit? I'm not sure why they've sent you this form as it's my understanding you can no longer add her to your ESA claim. Is Universal Credit the only benefit she currently receives?

On UC you should receive the standard allowance of £498.89 (assuming at least one of you is over 25) and then your ESA will transfer to UC so you'll also receive the LCWRA rate of £336.20. 
    So: 498.89 + 336.20 = £835.09 per month.

If you are receiving contribution-based ESA you will continue to receive this separately and the amount will be deducted from the monthly UC award. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Tinkerbell44
    Tinkerbell44 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    edited October 2019
    @Adrian_Scope quick one for you!! Whilst you mentioned standard allowance mine is 317.82 plus 336.20 plus 277.08 plus 564.94 (1496.04) minus 564.94 which they take to pay my council house so I come out with (931.10) then my pip 384.04 per month too and 103.50 Child benefit. I also get £844 pm from my sons great gran as his dad doesn’t give a **** about him (1331.54) (told the uc this and sent in letters of dads earnings a uc worker was also at our court hearing they said it won’t effect anything as it’s classed as Maintenence for my son and his arrears so I would still be entitled too everything

Total is 2750.18 per month
    all in with all I’m entitled too, uc elements lcwra child payment pip child benefits, his maintenance and his arrears - my son gets extra because his dad doesn’t want to see him caused him a health condition- proven in hospital he was the cause but doesn’t care never in touch no birthdays Christmases etc he goes on holiday to get away, but earns 500 per week cash in hand, paid him once 10.00 so it was taken to court and he was ordered to pay back his years of arrears since he was 14 months old- when we split due to him throwing me down the stairs whilst holding my son- with his normal maintenance payments- which are high because he is a high earner also because of all the stress injuries and trauma he caused us both, but his nan pays me for it as she is the only side of the family that cares and she’s well off - got 44 homes around the world and lives in LA four months of the year, Dubai 2 months then here the other 6....so nothing to her at all- rent paid, council tax paid, is this correct?? Could you just reassure me plz as I just want to make sure everything is as it should be!! Thank you for everything and your time xx G
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Tinkerbell44

I'll break these down a bit;

Council tax: Every council runs their Council Tax Support in their own way so it's impossible for me to say for certain whether your full council tax should be met (or disregarded) but it wouldn't be unheard of.

Child Maintenance: This is disregarded as income so doesn't affect any of your other benefits. However, some councils do include it when working out Council Tax Support so ensure you've declared it to your local council. I don't know if it being paid by the nan rather than your son's father makes any difference but if you've declared it and they've said it counts as maintenance even though it's her paying it, then that should be fine.

PIP and Child Benefit: Both of these are disregarded as income so don't affect your Universal Credit. Child benefit ⁠— you've given a 5 week amount, it's £20.70 per week and some month's there'll only be 4 weeks. The PIP amount depends on what rate you're getting.

Universal Credit: 
    It sounds like you're receiving: 
    £317.82 - Standard single person allowance for over 25s
    £336.20 - LCWRA
    £277.08 - 1st child (born pre-April 2017)
    £564.94 - Rent

Assuming your rent amount is correct, you're 25 (or over) and only have one child, this looks right to me. :smile:

I hope that answers some of your questions but if I've missed anything or not explained it clearly, please don't hesitate to ask. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • hello20
    Thank you  poppy I’m on income related support group

thank you Adrian for the help an support 

tinker bella44 was your friend on income related esa was she not awarded her support group when she added her partner in the uc account as they should offer this like poppy an Adrian have said by looking at previous posts 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    hello20 said:
    Thank you  poppy I’m on income related support group

Then i agree with Adrian, they shouldn't have sent you the ESA form because you can't claim this as a couple. It's UC you need to claim and once you claim this your ESA payments will stop and transfer to UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hello20
    My friend was in the sane position she added her man but she lost her support money. It’s how they work it out they obviously can’t give you more than anyone else so basically they take both your claims and put it into a joint uc rather than a separate one each.... you will still get the standard living allowance each but I think it may be one payment a bit less than the two if that bakes sence, that’s what happened with my friend I couldn’t be 100%.
    im on living allowance, lcwra, child allowance and my rents paid, - I’m over £1200 a month but it’s mainly due to me having my boy and my health. My friend and her partner are on £644 roughly no kids tho and she doesn’t get her support allowance. There are 2 support groups yours is the lower rate, mines is lcwra high rate.
    Hope you go ok. Good luck.
    Hi tinker bells was your friends partner claiming esa or Uc an when they joined claim how come your Friend lost her support componen did she not ask for it to be honoured 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.