PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi my name's Kelley and I'm here to ask for some help on my pip reassessment thanks guys x

kelley1234kelley1234 Member Posts: 39 Courageous
edited September 2019 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi I'm new to this site my name is Kelley and I suffer with quite a few illness one being arthritis and nerve pain. I had an award for 3 years and have had a reveiw form to fill out . I wonder if anyone can help ,? In between the last 2 years I've had surgery on one of my hips but wasn't successful so I didn't inform pip due to my needs not changing . If it had taken my pain away I would of informed them but it caused no change in my mobility ?! I'm now worried I'm going to be in trouble for not informing them of the surgery even though it didn't improve my legs . Has anyone on here had anything like this happen to them . I suffer severe depression and anxiety so this has made me really anxious . I would be greatful if someone could give me some advice please x

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

There were no improvements after the surgery so there were no changes to report, therefore there's nothing to worry about. You can't report changes, if there's nothing to report.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • kelley1234kelley1234 Member Posts: 39 Courageous
    Thankyou for replying to me . Im so nervous has I have bilateral hip pain so even after one hip was operated on I was still in severe pain with my left hip . Then after the healing process of the right hip the nerve pain came back with avengence so I refused surgery on my left hip as I didn't want to go through it all again with no success . I'm epeleptic aswell and I'm so stressed out it's caused more sezures . I really hope I don't have to have another F2,F assessment due to having surgery . Thankyou for your reply I've just sent my form back today it's took me a month to fill out due to my anxiety . X
    Is this a PIP review or did you report changes in your conditions?

Either way, expect another face to face assessment because most people have them for reviews, changes of conditions and new claims. It's rare to have a paper based assessment. Did you send evidence with the form to support your claim? They very rare contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

Waiting times for assessments depends on backlog in your area and can be anything from a couple of weeks to several months. After the assessment if you live in the UK you can rang DWP to request a copy of the report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Good luck.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Hi poppy this is a reveiw . I didn't ask for one it's the normal procedure . I've only been claiming pip for 2& half years ! I've sent pain management letters and the odd letter I found from my surgeon stating I'm still in pain with both legs so I cancelled the op . Also my doctors printed out my medication list and added a note saying I have been rushed into hospital with an anxiety attack last month and I have poor mobility and uncontrolled epilepsy and severe nerve pain and bladder issue so I'm hoping I don't have to ! I'm on diazepam . Pregablin .amytriptyline . Codeine . Duluxotine . Solifinacine and more at quite high doses . My daughter has to help with everything it's so heartbreaking and then I have all this stress aswell as other stuff going on . But thankyou for your advice 😊
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kelley1234   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

You mentioned your PIP forms and your mental health. Please if I can suggest are you receiving any support with your mental health. Do you have a support worker or a mental health team?

This is something to consider. Because they can help with what you are  going through right now.

I used mental health charities . Used this one if this helps you.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

They do take clientele with additional disabilities, conditions, illness .

Can help with forms, assessment attendance and anything else benefits. As well your mental health wellbeing.  You can self refer.

Might not be in all areas.

Please if we can be supportive or anything you wish to know please get in touch.  

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    Hello @kelley1234. Welcome to the forums!

The contact number should be listed on your award letter. Notify DWP of any changes etc that could affect your claim. Do you have a letter that was sent with your renewal form or not?

If you are struggling, you can use this find a advisor tool (the link is below) to see if there are any local benefits advisors who can help, or ring Citizen’s Advice helpline number listed on their contact details page to talk with a benefits advisor. You don’t have to fill out the form by yourself. Make sure to send it via secure recorded post in case (see my brief explanation at the bottom for more details). 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/contact-us/
    https://advicefinder.turn2us.org.uk/
    https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/42622/pip-renewal-form 

Make a photocopy of the form.

What type of renewal form did you receive in the post? If it is the PIP2 one, you will need to send supplementary evidence with the claim form via secure recorded delivery. Gather photocopies of letters etc. 
    Thankyou all for your advice . It was the pip renewal just to check if things are more difficult or stay the same or easier for me . I get standard rate living and standard rate mobility at the moment . I've sent off and tried to fill the form out as best I could . I was also placed in the support group of ESA after my assesment after my surgery 9 months ago ! I have now had another ESA form to fill in too. Just can't understand why they keep putting me through assessment after assessment when there's no change . This causes my anxiety and depression to go through the roof and as far as my doctors concerned on my mental health is there's no help out there so just keep taking pills and stay in bed 🙁 what a life not so easy at all . I've had enough of it now the money they waste on assessment is rediculas when they can see by my medical records I'm unwell physically and mentally 🙁😕
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kelley1234, it sounds like things have been really difficult for you, I'm sorry to hear this. How are you doing today? :)
    Scope

Hi Chloe thanks for asking ? I got a letter yesterday for another face to face for my ESA . Can't understand when nothing has changed in 9 months . Ive spent today in bed as I am dreading this . I also asked them for an afternoon appointment and they have gave me a morning one . Do you think they even bother read what we send or request ? I can't get there that early I'm on medication that's makes me sleep in the morning and they know this . Im now expecting another face to face assesment for my pip review even though they told me they can do them on paper !! I just can't cope without this money and all the stress . I worked before I got unwell and I had to keep calling in sick . That causes anxiety alone . If I could work I would . Who wants to be in pain and lay in bed with depression all day .no one ! It's not helping I lost my dad in February who had the same kind of problem s with he's legs like me . He was only 63 and lived with me so I'm obviously greiving too . I just don't know where to turn . My doctors don't seem to be bothered as long as I keep taking medication they think I'm ok xx
    Plus I filled in the forms probably wrong . Not up to the standards everyone talks about on theses sights . I just wrote what I'm like in the questions but I thought they seem all my medical letters before .when your unwell who an earth can fill in theses forms worded in a way so you pass ? I know I can't 🙁
    If the appointment date/time is not suitable for you then you can ring the number on the letter and change it but do be aware you can only do this once. Sometimes first appointments are automatically generated by a computer which is most likely what happened here and why you were given an early morning appointment instead of an afternoon one.

Yes assessments can be paper based but it's very rare for anyone not to have a face to face assessment, for ESA and PIP. Most people have them.

Sadly even though you were only assessed 9 months ago for ESA they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months.

Good luck with both assessments.
    Thankyou poppy I'll call them and ask if they can change my time x
    If I don't pass theses assesments I don't know what I'm going to do ? This is the first time I've spoken to a forum before . I know you have to ask for s mandatory consideration .but what do we do about money and out rent ? How do people cope ?
    You're welcome. The best thing to do is try to concentrate on the ESA assessment first and try not to think about the worst that could happen. Easier said than done i know because i worry myself during these times but it doesn't help us by constantly worrying. Try to keep your mind busy doing other things so you don't think about it.

If the worst does happen then post back here and someone will help you. To put your mind at rest your housing benefit will continue because it can be paid through nil income.
  • cristobalcristobal Member Posts: 968 Disability Gamechanger
    Plus I filled in the forms probably wrong . ...l who an earth can fill in theses forms worded in a way so you pass ? I know I can't 🙁
    @kelley1234 - For PIP I don't think that there is any particular wording required but what is important is that you tell them about how your condition affects you carry out day to day tasks.

Have a look at the descriptors - they're available online - and make sure that you tell them which you can't do, and which you need help or assistance with. Use your own words - there's no 'magic' formula...

Don't know anything about ESA sorry....

Good luck ...
    Thankyou all ☺️
    Hello just thought I'd update . Pip received my review form and I received a phone call today asking me to go for an assessment . I was in bed when they called as I'm suffering a flare up .I asked why as I have sent all the evidence I have and my prescription list ?the reply to me was we need to ask you a couple of questions ? I won't be having an examination ! I asked why I can't answer over the phone but she said no we need to see you ! Oh well another assesment I don't know what to do as I have gave them everything I have medically . My anxiety has gone high and I'm on more valium now ☹️ causing me stress 😖😱
    Unfortunately, most people have to attend another face to face assessment even for a review. Paper based assessments are very rare.

I'd advise you to take someone with you if you can and this will hopefully help with the stress these assessments cause.
    Hi poppy thankyou for replying I have my pip assessment on 31st October and an ESA assessment on the 1st of November . I'm so stressed as I don't have any new medical evidence since my last assessment . My son is going to come with me . I just think why if they just need a couple of questions answered ? I'm so stressed I was taking into hospital 3 weeks ago with an anxiety attack I just don't know how I'm going to cope. 😫
    Hello @kelley1234   Sorry to hear what you are going through. I have been doing the assessments on various benefits a long time.

I wanted to say did you ever contact the charity I suggested. It was a while back.  I mentioned this charity.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Or this one is another one https://www.mind.org.uk.

I was wondering if you should try to contact MIND. If you had no success with Richmond Fellowship.

I say this because they can help with what you are experiencing right now.

MIND website has a lot of guidance on coping with what you are going through.

I suffer anxiety myself as have just posted a lot of advice, guidance on Psychological coping methods that are used by mental health charities please have a look.

Under Psychological coping methods part one two and three.

One piece of advice I know is to get some support with any assessment. Whether is any one who is helping you.

Include support worker or floating support or outreach worker or health support.

Reason I stated charities often useful.

You mentioned your son that is fine. As well.  Any friends or some one who knows you well.

I would try to keep calm and use some deep breathing, meditation.  You can look on the web for these many are useful techniques.

Please may I suggest look at my posts I have added. As well does help and offers a lot of reassurance, self esteem and confidence.

I had my mental illness a long time and have the knowledge and education to cope.  Happy to support others.

Music helps. Have Classic FM on right now all the time relaxes you.

The assessment I do understand and feel for you have compassion. Please if I add be thinking positive thoughts.

Be honest, open and say how you are which I know you will.

There are no tricks questions just take your time.  Keep it simple and short.  Please do not rant or ramble or get muddled a sign of anxiety and stress I know this myself.

Do a rehearsal in your mind write down any notes want to say.  Make a script. When going to the assessment centre look on line to see where it is.

Look at the copy of the form if you have one. Make some bullet points.

I assume your son is driving you.  Plan ahead be early.  If you want to then you can relax if in the car have some deep breathing and some relaxation to deal with anything.

Organise yourself dress in comfortable clothes.  Have a bottle of water and tissues.

I hope every thing works out your be amazing you be fine that is what you need to say to yourself.

Also remember never think negetive think of positive and the good outcome you are going to get.

I had to share this with you.

I know you be OK.

One final point do not think about after wards that is something we can discuss anytime. Think the first step. Small steps.

We are here to be supportive, be a friend.

Wish you well. Please have a pleasant evening I forget have and try to get a good nights sleep before the assessment.

If I can help with anything please get in touch.

I am one of the community champions of the forum.

Please take care sending  prayers.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    @thespiceman
    Thankyou for your compassion your advice is really appreciated ☺️ I have been in bed for the last couple of weeks with severe nerve pain and depression so haven't managed to contact any service's ATM . My doctors have spoke to me and just upped my medication as they call it an episode and a flare up of my joint pain . I think I'm stressing more as I have no more medical evidence apart from a massive prescription list . I mentioned to my doctor I'm suffering severe fatigued and he said I'm on a lot of sedative medication that's why ! Yet these people expect me to be able to sit and answer questions . I'm like a zombie I can't think straight all day . Thankyou for your advice and I think all I can do now is pray 🙏 hopefully god is on my side 😌😇🙏
    Hello @kelley1234   Thank you for kind words. Much appreciated.

Please can I suggest something else.  I assume if you do go on line to get your medication.

If you do not you can sign up to a website that can deliver your medication.

Also you can then access your medical records. Down load them to print them off any relevant information, reports.

I signed up to a website called Patients Access. There are many available.  Get my prescriptions delivered by my local village pharmacy.

Very useful.

You would need to speak to your surgery and they will send you details of set up.

Hope that helps.

One other point is there is a lot of negativity around assessments. Which is understandable.  I know from reading the stories on the forum.  Which I would stress I would not concern yourself with.

I think what is important is being positive having the confidence and self esteem to say how you are. Be if you can motivated. I know never easy to say to some one else.

I just know that every one is different and it is how you approach every time you have some thing like this.

I have sorry this about me started doing assessments and reviews of benefits around early Eighties, stopped for a long period of work. Then back on benefits around middle Nineties with breaks doing work or signing on.

Now on long term sick, and in my middle Fifties still probably will be going for more.

I wanted to add that hope you do not mind.

What is not known is the amount of positive stories around assessments.  They do exist.  I have seen them.

I can understand your fears and insecurities. 

I myself have limited evidence but have had good assessments.  Despite everything .

I tend to focus on the positive ones have courage have strength and have the opportunity to support those on this forum.

Please if I can help or be supportive ask anything. I am sorry to hear your in bed with pain.

I hope you have a good support around you to help with anything.

You might need. You mentioned your son.

You added about medication. Lot of medication is like that sorry to say that does cause excessive tiredness.

Look at the leaflets any time you get a medication.  One bit of advice.

I know ones I am on are. Causing numerous side effects again it is putting something in place to cope with any side effects.

Taking medication is a solution but with a combination of a good healthy diet.  Some evaluation of wellbeing you can deal with what you have.

I know the zombie situations but this is something does happen .

I can help and offer guidance with anything regarding diet and well being my recipes on here many times posted.

I for example get nausea a simple solution drink plenty of water have gentle foods eases your stomach.

Eat Yoghurt natural or Greek.  Have this after any nausea.  Use fruit or Apples .

Make sure if your eating small meals.  If you suffering depression, last thing you wish to do is eat.

Have something small like soup .  Does help.

Buy a slow cooker put into it everything like veggies and lean meat. Chicken or Turkey. Leave it on and have it when your hungry. 

I think a good breakfast is important as well. Eggs good start to the day or Oats based cereal.

I apologise if you have any food intolerances. Please ask me for ideas happy to suggest.

I have been there with depression and pain and still do have some days.

I do understand. Please when your ready in your own time look at any links I provided.

Wish you well.  Sorry for long post do have care and concern for our community members who are valued and struggling at the moment.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • paffuto10paffuto10 Member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Hi @kelley1234

So sorry to hear you're having to go through all this. 
    Just been through 2 PIP's myself. One for adult son and one for me. 

We enlisted help from the MP with both.
    We managed to get son's PIP through mandatory consideration (after receiving zero points).
     My own was the renewal after 3 years and managed to get same as before. Yaay! 

Really taken it out of me though. Been in bed crying since I received the decision on Monday.!!
    I should be happy shouldn't I? 

Anyway, you could try your MP.? We sent emails explaining the situation. 

Are you actually able to attend 2 assessments one day after the other or will the first one wipe you out too much to attend second? If so, tell the MP that and also the ESA people. 

I know what you mean about the worry, it's just awful. <3

I had a really strange question at the assessment. I'm incontinent and use adult nappies.
     I explained that sometimes I don't even know when I'm weeing ( have bladder damage ) and other times I try to get to the loo but just can't make it in time. 

The question was "what is the percentage between weeing without knowing and trying to get to the loo"? 
    I got upset because I didn't understand the question and started crying. I was all confused, she repeated the question a few times and in the end I just blurted out 50/ 50.
    What the hell was that question all about? 

Anyway, my advice is to take as much medical evidence to the assessment as you can. Even if it's not official letters and reports persay. 

For example when I asked my GP for a letter he just gave me a print out, a brief summary of my last 6 months visits. Doesn't sound much but it included x ray results, regular antibiotics for bladder infections and visits for asthma, diabetes check, etc. 
    I also took a form from the mental health team. Again not really an official letter, just a form saying they were suggesting CBT for me to sign and that the waiting list is ten months.! 

So, take anything you can even if it doesn't seem as strong as say, a consultants letter or something. 
    And email your MP because I think it's too much to expect 2 assessments in 2 days.!

I know how you feel but keep going and try to stay strong x  <3

Hi @kelley1234, I am so sorry to hear that your assessments are close together, and I can certainly see why this would be difficult for you. I am glad to hear that you have someone who can come with you to the assessment. Like Poppy said, it is very rare that they make a paper based decision. 

Please do let us know how you get on and I hope other members can continue to give you advice. :)
    Scope

Thankyou all for your advice. Haven't been on here as been feeling very low . Well I received a letter this morning saying they have looked at what I have written on the form and have been InTouch with any healthcare professionals that are involved with my treatment or care and we have decided we need to see you for a f2f . So there goes ☹️😓
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Thankyou all for your advice. Haven't been on here as been feeling very low . Well I received a letter this morning saying they have looked at what I have written on the form and have been InTouch with any healthcare professionals that are involved with my treatment or care and we have decided we need to see you for a f2f . So there goes ☹️😓

2 assessments in 2 days! Oh it`s more than flesh and blood can stand. They have no idea how much stress this will cause you. Best wishes chick xxxxx
    Unbelievable and I can't change my assessment as I had an hospital appointment and had to cancel one 😕 Pollyanna 1052 x
    Hi @kelley1234, I am sorry to hear that it has affected your mood. Is there anything we can do to help?
    Scope

Hello Chloe I just want theses over now . I also didn't have any further evidence apart from an updated prescription . It says on the letter they have contacted people involved in my care !! Who ? Only I know how I live and struggle so am really struggling to think who they would of asked ? Thankyou x
    If you put name of GP or any other professional then they may have contacted either of those.
    Bring it on .. I have nothing to hide I had to give up my nursing job 3 years ago due to my illnesses . Before I gave work up I went down to part time which I still couldn't manage . If only I could go to work I certainly wouldn't be sitting here stressing out at the small amount of money I have to live on . I will let you know how it goes next week . Thankyou for all your support XXX😘😘 I've actually asked for a ESA loan to keep to side incase I'm left with nothing and need accepted for that even though I'm due a ESA reassessment . How they will get that money back if I don't pass god knows 🤷🤷🤦
  • paffuto10paffuto10 Member Posts: 388 Pioneering

@kelley1234

Sorry you are having to go through this and that you are feeling low (not surprised) 

I still feel you should contact your MP about the 2 assessments being one after the other. I would email him under the heading "Urgent" and explain. If he can get one of the dates changed then they are changing it, not you.

In my case they sent me an appointment for a building I could not access.!!
    It was a flat entrance but the nearest drop off point was 70 metres walk, due to a fence running all along the side of the building. No opening through the fence. 

Mine was for PIP Renewal and I was already receiving Mobility for 20 metres. 
    I emailed MP heading it "Urgent". I explained that they were paying me for walking 20 metres but asking me to walk 70! 

I had already contacted Disability and Equality Rights but they said it was within the law because of the flat entrance (and it's up to clients how they get to the entrance)!!!!

We emailed the MP, next thing I received a new appointment at a different building with flat entrance and drop off (taxi) right at the door.

Worth a try? 

Good Luck and keep us posted  <3
    I can completely appreciate why you would just want them done and out of the way, we're all here rooting for you @kelley1234!
    Scope

Chloe scope  thankyou I am going to get taxis there and back my son's coming with me . I really just want it over . My thoughts are that they couldn't make a decision on my review by the tick form and evidence so they just want to fail me. My councillor has told me to tell them after my assessment I had 2 days ago that my depression and anxiety is supremely high and thats without my physical problems . He said I'm not fit for work and I must tell them he said that !!! Well I'm sure that they will take he's word for it considering its not on paper ! What do I do just give them he's name 🤷🤷xx
    Paper based assessments are very rare and most people have to attend assessments, even for a review.

Please do be aware that PIP isn't about not being able to work, which means telling them this during your assessment isn't going to help your claim.
    Hello @kelley1234 Please can I suggest try to be calm and consider what you need to say, just think it through.

You be fine and amazing be able to cope. To give you reassurance been doing this a long time.

All these assessments. Try to rehearse some answer be positive and confident you will be successful.

Say how you are. Not too ramble but in a few sentences.

Answer honesty be open, about yourself.

How the descriptors are effected you day to day.  

You have some on with you that is good to know.

Remember to take anything yo need to cope and anything to show the assessors, reports or care plans.

Diary entries showing you need to remind yourself of doing any of the descriptors. Taking meds or need to remind myself to do tasks or duties..  Also take a copy of your form if you have it.

Please do not try to worry it is how you cope and deal with everything. Small steps.

One final point do not worry about the outcome think and focus on the assessment first.

We are here to support you and help when you need it.

One other point have a good nights sleep and eat a good breakfast something to calm and relax you.  Music on the Radio.

Wish you well thinking of you in my prayers.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    Hi poppy I do understand that . I am unable to dress my lower body . Walk long distance and spend most of my time in bed during the day where I'm up in pain all night . Also medication side affects don't help. I need assistance to get out of bed and assistance to bath and cook so I kind of know as I was awarded standard rate daily living and standard mobility 2 years ago . I'm also incontinent which I can't get to a toilet fast enough because of my legs . This was due to a hysterectomy 3 years ago . I am obviously suffering depression and grief and anxiety which is not helping the situation . I totally understand what pip is for . I'm suffering uncontrolled epilepsy too it's just all too much at the moment but thanks for your advice 👍
    The spiceman
    Thankyou for your kind words . I took some of your advice and made a step for some councilling . I really appreciate your input . I'm really trying to relax as I'm sure I'll be fine it's just you read all these negative things and it doesn't help if you have anxiety xx
    Hello @kelley1234   Please try no too worry anxiety I know about my self.  Please try to think of pleasant thoughts.

Deep breathing and some meditation.

Have a look on the forum did a series of Coping Methods lots of ideas and suggestions.

Around 16th to 18th October, called Physiological Coping methods you need to scroll down and find them.

I am always here if I can be a friend.  Always ready to listen offer anything have done a lot of assessments please if can add you need to focus and try not to think negative.

My wonderful friend @poppy123456 has given you a lot of guidance.

I would also it does help write down how you are and how your coping.  Make some notes on anything that @poppy123456 has given you for reference.

Right now your mind is thinking the worst please do not think the worst. Be thinking the positivity and the confidence, reassurance you need to deal with this.

I know never easy but you will be OK. 

Please if you need some one to talk to happy to be here for support.  Not going any where.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    Thankyou @spiceman and poppy 123456 i am taking all your advice and I hope that you don't think I'm being rude on here ! That's the last thing I am . I am truly grateful for all your input on these assesments . I'm going to sit down and write a diary today of a typical day in the life of Kelley 🙊 then it won't hurt to take it with me . I can explain to the assessor I kind of loose my self in this assesments and it's just notes to jog my mind incase I forget anything . Hopefully they will understand that ? Thankyou all for your advice . Please if you feel I shouldn't do this would you please comment and let me know . Thankyou xxx
    Hello @kelley1234   Thank you for reply.  No you not rude never imagined ever you are.

Good to hear about the diary and the notes. Give you reassurance, be calming and give you a lot of confidence.

Wish you well for a successful outcome.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    @thespiceman hi just though update . I got through my pip reassessment. Today with an hour grilling lol but I did it xx mentally worn out now have to prepare myself for my ESA assessment tomorrow 😥😌
    Hello @kelley1234   Please thank you for contacting me. Much appreciated.

Hope you are taking it easy. Relaxing music and keeping warm.

I am very proud of you as a community member well done to you. You have done amazing.

I know have the next one. You be fantastic and think positive thoughts.

Wishing you the best always. Sending prayers tonight for a successful positive outcome.

Please if you do not mind keep in touch let me know how you get on.

Thinking of you.  In my heart.

Your friend.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    @thespiceman thankyou for being so lovely an positive ♥️ honestly I don't know how I'm going to get through today I'm absolutely exhausted . Oh well I'll have a little joke if not I'll cry so let's hope they take one look at me and say look at the state of her shes not fit for work .🙊😂well got to have a sense of humour at this tuff time .😉 I'm hurting so much today . Thankyou for everything speak to you soon🙏
    edited November 2019
    Hello @kelley1234   Good morning  to you and please hope you have a great assessment and think positive thoughts.

Please can I ask do you have some one to go with you. I do understand about being nervous on edge and stressed.

Put the Radio on have this on right now Classic FM nice relaxing soothing music to start the day.

Not high brow or snobby just lovely relaxing.

Have a good breakfast know maybe not feel like eating but if you can some thing to settle the stomach. The anxiety some Eggs scrambled on a toasted muffin .

Or Porridge with Milk and touch of water. Add an Apple and some Cinnamon or mix of Frozen Fruit and Apple.

Anything you feel you can eat. Honey and toast some fruit does help to relax be calming.

Boots energy levels.

Have a pamper start to the day you know you ladies like one.  Just a suggestion a warm bath or shower . Use my self some muscle bath foam. Scented and stimulating .

Thought I would share and care.

Make sure your calm and be confident. Please do not worry. I am here when you need to talk or when you return.

Always after please may I suggest have a treat do something you enjoy.

In my case if the assessment centre near to a shop buy a food treat or a CD .

Just a thought.  Your doing amazing and I am proud of every thing your dealing with.

Please have a good one your in my thoughts. Think confident sending lots of prayers and best wishes.

Your friend.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Hi @kelley1234, I really hope your ESA assessment today goes okay!
    Scope

Dear @thespiceman thankyou and chloescope  thankyou both I have just got back and had the worst experience . I really need some advice . I was assessed by a male doctor which I requested a female doctor for personal reasons . Basically I have multiple condition but he only focused on my incontinent. He was very rude and made me cry telling me I have hands so I can work !! Basically he told me if I don't have the surgery what I have refused due to my descresion on this surgery he will get my benefits stopped . I'm in a terrible state I don't know what I should do from here's ? Could you give me any advice on this please x
    I'm sorry to hear it was a bad experience for you today. The HCP should definitely not have said those things to you. You could put in a complaint to the health assessment providers but you'll most likely find it will be your word against theirs, sadly.

I would try not to think too much into what was said because they don't make the decisions. It will be very difficult to speculate anything at this point.

You can ring DWP a week from now to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. If you do request it, when you receive it if you don't understand it then come back here and i'm sure someone will help you understand what it means. The ESA assessment report is never easy to understand.

Hopefully it will be nothing to worry about and you'll remain in the same group. Good luck.
    Hello @kelley1234   Sorry to hear this.  I am truly sorry you had a bad experience .

I do think my friend @poppy123456 has given you a lot of positivity and lot of excellent advice.

I know today was emotional, difficult and hard to deal with.

I would make a complaint. You could complain to your MP.  They do want to know what you are going through.

Please if I add you done amazing and should be proud of yourself what you have been through.

I know you are this moment felling anxious stressed and on edge.

I think if you can try not to think of today other wise you get upset.

If you start to worry get anxious be effected your mental health.

I am here to suggest might be worth speaking to your GP.  I usually do after any assessments.

They are there to help and give you support.

I had similar incidents myself . Just to reassure you. Give a lot of self esteem.  

Hurts makes you angry. Please try to relax and wait the outcome.  Please if I can add also am here if you wish to offload.

Either here or PM on the private messaging service if you wish to.

You have 25 posts. Done so will be able to talk to me. If you want to.  

Just a gent being caring, concern and being supportive.

Please what ever you are doing please take care of yourself.

Your friend.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Thankyou both I'm in quite an emotional state ATM just can't understand how being told I must be operated on and he's giving me one year to have the op or my benefit will stop !! Unbelievable . I will do as poppy says and ask for a report . I think I should ask the dwp if that can happen ? Me being forced into surgery for benefit purpose ?I've had surgery 3 times and really can't take anymore 😪😪😪😪 thankyou all for your support xxxx
    The only person that can advise whether surgery would benefit you is your Consultant and not the HCP at the face to face assessment. An adviser from DWP wouldn't be able to advise you on this because they mostly read from a screen.
    Hi @kelley1234, I am so sorry to hear this! You deserved so much better and I really hope the advice provided by others will be helpful. I hope you have a lovely weekend and I’ll check in with you on Monday. Take care Kelley.

Scope

edited November 2019
    Hello @kelley1234 I do understand this I am sorry it not pleasant to hear this.

Maybe if I can share if you do not mind. Being born with a disability have fingers missing, numerous operations from birth. Till mid teens.

I got told by an Assessor can open a door can work . Told me as I sat here this is I know about me.

Please if I can just add do you think you need to look at accessing support, guidance, advice with your issues. I know I mentioned some links maybe need to consider this.

I know the pain, heart ache the struggles but if you consider the choices getting help and support.

May mean getting someone in your corner to fight for you. Like floating support or anyone else similar.

Then I know you might have the solutions to deal with what you have.

It is a big step but think of this if it helps you to heal is that worth it, scary, frightening of course it is.

Tell me about it .  Have been there.

Please take care.

Keep safe and warm.

Your friend.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    @ thespiceman I am really shocked what they said to you unbelievable 🙄 I think I'm really going to have to get some support .when I'm in a better place I will have a private chat with you if that's ok . ATM I'm just emotionally exhausted today and need to get my head together but thankyou and we will speak soon. Plus I'm going to see my GP as soon as . Xx
    Hello @kelley1234   Thank you for reply. How are you today I hope you feeling better and recovering slowly.

Please contact me anytime you wish to use the Private Messaging service.

Just click on the centre icon of your wall .  First one is notifications, second one messages.  Purple ones.

Put my user name . @thespiceman then that will come to me.

Pleasure to talk to you anytime. 

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,997

Scope community team

Hi @kelley1234. How was your weekend?

I'm really sorry to read how your assessment went (and that you had both your ESA and PIP assessment just a day apart, that must have been really stressful). To reiterate what others have said; the HCP that did your assessment can't decide whether you have to have surgery or not. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    Hi Adrian scope thankyou for taking time out to reply to my post . Hi I've been off here for a while have had a bad episode of depression . Feeling a bit better now even put a picture on of myself . Just waiting for the dreaded brown envelope 😪 does anyone know how long reveiw decisions take ? Thankyou xxx
    Hi @kelley1234, sorry to hear you have been feeling like this, glad to hear you are doing a bit better.

Unfortunately it can be hard to say due to backlogs, I hope you aren't having to wait too much longer.

I hope you have a lovely day. :)
    Scope

Thankyou chloescope I'm just thinking the worst as I wasn't treated very good so am just waiting for a dreaded brown envelope and worrying how I'm going to manage and get through Christmas food wise .plus I have 3 kids and 2 grandchildren very stressful times xxx
    I'm sorry to hear this @kelley1234, that cannot have been pleasant! I really hope you hear soon. If you need any further support then please do let us know.
    Scope

Thankyou Chloe xx
    Hi Everyone just thought I'd ask if anyone knows how long the decisions take . I got my report of my assessment a couple of weeks ago and to be honest there was a lot of stuff on there that wasn't correct . I didn't expect anything less to be honest . All my paper work has been with the case manager for 2 weeks now and I still haven't had a decision . Very confusing does anyone else know why it would take this long considering the case manager has been assessing my paper work for do long . Thankyou 
    There's no timescales for any decision. Backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. Once the report has been received back it can still take 2-8 weeks maybe more for a decision to be made.

Despite what was stated in the report, have you added up the points recommended? They usually go with the report but adding up those possible points, will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be.
    Thankyou  poppy123456 im so grateful for your advice. I would never had known to request a report of it wasn't for you x I did try to find out what the points were and it looks like the assor recommend 11 points for daily living . And there's 2 parts of the mobility do we add those up or are they seperate ? The first one was ,F what I understand is 12 points and the second part was d which was 8 points . I rang up after I received my report as I didn't receive any points for managing and monitoring medication . Basically there are 3 medications that my daughter has to give me due to the nature of them and the past . I rang them straight away and explained this to them . Do you think they take this into consideration after the assement. There was a letter I put in with my information so it did tally with opiate meds . Thankyou for your help 
    You're welcome,

You add both of the mobility parts together but even with scoring 12 points that's Enhanced mobility without adding the other part and you can't be awarded any higher than Enhanced.

Whether or not the decision maker will give you that 1 extra point for medication, is another matter because they mostly go with the report. It has been know for them to go against it but it's rare. Those points suggest Standard daily living and Enhanced mobility.

Once the decision is made if they've gone with the report and you disagree you'll have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) BUT do be aware that they will look at the whole award again, which means you do risk losing everything you already have, although most MR decisions don't change, it could also be increased but it's rare. Only 15% of MR decisions change.
    Thankyou for your advice poppy123456 hopefully the decision maker doesn't take my points away 
    I was on standard both before at the back of the page it also says reveiw 3 years and the assor ticked the box saying my condition will be present at the next reveiw it's not likely to change so fingers crossed I hope they take notice . Thankyou I will let you know when I receive the decision letter . Have a good day 
    Hi poppy 123456 sorry to bother you I received my ESA letter today to say I have stayed in the support group which is good news . There's no explanation why I'm in the support group . Can I request a copy of the report on why I'm in that group ? I had the same last year and was placed in the support group . I know there's certain reasons but I've never had the reason given to me . Thankyou
    Hi,

Great news. ESA decision letters are very basic and they give no information why you were placed into the group and no timescales either.

You can ring ESA to request a copy of the report, it's called ESA85. If it's mental health you're claiming for them i'm guessing you'll have been placed into the support group through regulation 35, which for most people is the main route to the support group.
    Hi 
    Thankyou poppy123456 it's a huge weight off my shoulders for a while excpecally this time of year aswell . I have complex conditions so I'm not sure which it would of been but I will ask for ESA85 as to be placed twice in the support group without knowing why and plus that was actually my worst assement the assessor wasn't interested in anything I had to say ? I actually told him he was rude oops but he was . 
    I mean 2 assesments in 2 days was just awful but at least it's over for now . Hopefully I won't be waiting too long now for my pip decision as both assesments were at the same time . Thankyou again x
    Great news @kelley1234, thanks for letting us know. :)
    Best of luck with the PIP decision.
    Scope

Thankyou chloescope 😊 I do feel sad though how we have to go through all this and are so happy for a good outcome . We really shouldn't have to endure all of this I think there needs to be big change in the way sick and disabled people are treated in this system . I will let you know how and when I get my pip decision what the outcome is 🙏xxx
    Fingers crossed @kelley1234!
    Scope

Thankyou Chloescope means alot x
    Good morning I thought I'd let you all know I decided to call dwp this morning to find out if they have made a decision yet on my pip ? I'm pleased to say they have and the lady said a letter was sent out yesterday . She didn't read it all as there's alot of pages explaing why the come to the decision .. well I've been awarded standard rate daily living and enhanced rate mobility . I'm just relieved it's been awarded . Thankyou poppy123456 for advising me on the assors report as there the points they have gone with xx
    Amazing news @kelley1234!! Thank you for letting us know. :)
    Scope

Thankyou chloescope I'm just do relieved as I think I would of gave in . It's been so stressful as you know xx
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,997

Scope community team

Great news @kelley1234, really happy for you!
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    I'm not surprised @kelley1234, I hope you can find some time to relax now. :)
    Scope

Sign in or join us to comment.