Limited capability for work related activities — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Limited capability for work related activities

Jerome26 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I've been on uc since October 18and have been signed off for the entire duration since, I was unfortunately homeless for the first few months and had been given extra support by my work coach, meaning I didn't have to attend any appointments and I was to concentrate on finding suitable housing fo myself, this certainly wasn't an easy time for me and really put a huge strain on my ability to be "normal" and as you can imagine my anxiety was getting worse.
I was sent to an assessment in April 19 and was put in the limited capability group which gave me no extra money, since being on uc I've had to take advances and budgeting loans and then obviously paying this back through my monthly payment, this leaves me on £199 per month (I receive fortnightly £99).
After spending 6 months in a privately rented property which was hell on earth but had absolutely zero choice in the matter, apart from stay in a homeless shelter! Luckily I'm now with a mental health charity and am in supported housing with them and so far it's helping me slowly but am still living of the small payment from ucplus a service charge of £18 every fortnight! 
I have asked for the mandatory reconsideration and that was slapped back in my face after 14 weeks I got a "no cha ge in the decision", so I'm now going down the tribunal route with my support worker helping me, I'm extremely anxious about being integrated about very personal questions, so any advise on this subject would be greatly appreciated, also whether the payment is back dated, as I mentioned I've been signed off for the entire uc claim.
Thanks in advance 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,696 Disability Gamechanger

    I'm sorry to hear this. The panel at the Tribunal are totally independent to DWP and the health assessment providers and they will be very understanding. Although you could very well be asked some questions about how your conditions affect you. I can't advise what you'll be asked because i don't know anything about your conditions.

    Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. If you're given LCWRA the extra money will be backdated to the 4th complete assessment period after you sent in your first fit note.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,074

    Scope community team

    edited September 2019
    Hello @Jerome26 and a warm welcome to the community. 

    I'm glad to read you're now housed securely and are getting help from your support worker.
    If your tribunal is successful and you're placed into the LCWRA group then (assuming there have been no breaks in your fit notes), the additional money for this should be backdated to three full assessment periods after you submitted your first fit note. 

    I can understand how daunting the prospect of a tribunal is but do keep in mind that the majority of these (75%) are successful. The best advice is to be as honest as you can.

    Hopefully some of our members will be able to share their experience of tribunals with you. :)
    Community Manager

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Jerome26
    Jerome26 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, thanks for your reply, I suffer travel and social anxiety which makes this quite difficult for me, I will be appearing in person with my support worker so I can know exactly what is happening, the reason I ask is that my assessment was extremely unsettling for me as I had no support with me and struggled to even find the place which was in another area so caused me to travel by train which was held against me by the words used! I don't deny that in the future I'd like to go back to work but currently do not see this happening any time soon and with my extremely low income and inability to get around I feel its getting worse. 
    I will be relieved to be speaking to people outside of the dwp so hopefully it goes well. 
    Thanks again for the response it's very much appreciated 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.