Join Ami in making travel fair — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Join Ami in making travel fair

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

Travelling by public transport can be tough when you’re disabled, and it’s made even worse by uncertainties and expectations that aren’t met.

@Ami2301 recently spoke to Scope about the challenges she’s faced when using public transport, how the failings of booked assistance have not only inconvenienced but put both Ami and other members of the public in danger.

‘On two occasions, other passengers have had to lift me in my wheelchair, on and off the train, because assistance never arrived. This is dangerous, not only for me, but for the passengers that are lifting me too. If it were not for their kindness, then we wouldn’t have gotten home, or been able to attend important appointments.’

Public transport might not always be dependable, but a disabled passenger should be able to rely on certain levels of service. A journey shouldn’t be filled with anxiety because you can’t be sure whether you’ll be able to get on or off, or if you’ll have anywhere to sit.

A young woman in a wheelchair waiting with a young man talking to a bus driver who is aboard a yellow single-decker bus

‘On the bus I regularly use, there are about 30 seats and a single space for a wheelchair.’ Ami says of a recent journey. She was the only wheelchair user aboard and had gotten on, knowing she had a right to the wheelchair space as a priority seat. ‘I should have been allowed in that space,’ she says. ‘But because of non-disabled people using the priority seats, I ended up blocking the aisle. No one would move to another seat or offered to stand.’

Scope are currently campaigning to help make travel fair and we need your help. We want bus, train, taxi and metro companies to make a clear promise to disabled passengers about what they should be able to expect, and an easy way to complain if things go wrong with a journey.

To make them listen and for our campaign to make a difference, we need you to tell us what promises you want to see public transport companies make in order to make it easier for disabled people to travel.

Have you had bad experiences of public transport? What promises would you like companies to make? Tell us how to make travel fair here and in the comments below!

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a fabulous idea @Ami2301
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    For years iv tryed to get bus, & train companys to respect disabled people needs.
    Also hospitals who like our QE make life so difficult by giving disabled people very early appointments. We then have to travel in rush hours when theres no seats because the workers are in them Not fair on anyone.
    Bus & rail have to stop treating disabled people as though we are in the way.
    It's always been like that.
    In the 60s I put letters in the evening mail.
    Things are no better now.
    Time the Govenment gave fines to people who disrespect disabled people 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A great campaign, thank you for being involved with it @Ami2301!
    Scope

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope and thank you to Scope for allowing me to take part in the Travel Fair campaign. My first ever campaign and have thoroughly enjoyed it!

Still a way to go to create a more positive experience when travelling but I hope with the results of the campaign, we can make a difference! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    A fabulous campaign!  Thanks for becoming involved @Ami2301.  It is diabolical that in this day and age disabled people have to fight to have what should be a straightforward experience of public transport.  Great that this important topic is being highlighted.
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.