thought of as a fool because of where i live — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

thought of as a fool because of where i live

Options
Colinsaved26
Colinsaved26 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi if anyone can help me to do voluntary work which is working with prisoners and offering them befriending and maybe the Gospel message but it's more important that i comfort them and save them from doing something dire like self-harm or suicide i'm willing to travel for interview but i say my appearance and my supported living which a lot of ignorance and stigma and bias are leveled at me and others  in this sort of living accommodation please,please help me    Brother  Colin                                                                                                                                   Richardson north east uk 

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Colinsaved26 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  That sounds like very rewarding work you are interested in doing.  You may find the following Scope link helpful as it talks about volunteering,

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/volunteering-develop-your-skills/

The next 2 links relate more to volunteering with prisoners,

https://www.prisonadvice.org.uk/pages/category/volunteer

https://prisonfellowship.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/

People who mock other people are very narrowminded and it is best to ignore such ignorance, although I know that is not always easy to do.  I am sure that you have very good skills and can make a really positive contribution to volunteering and I wish you well with it.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.  Please feel free also to look around the site and join in any relevant discussions.  You will find the Community to be a lovely supportive space full of really friendly people.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.   :)

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Colinsaved26
    Colinsaved26 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for you're email and the websites  I'll look at tomorrow thank you once more its now 11.30 pm                                                                                    if you know a good person  i'll be theirv snail-mail penpall                              i canbe a good penpall to the whoso ever a good person who is into   Computers Born-again Christian Faith and has health problems and is isolated and needs a spiritual brothers love and care just to write to and have a card or two and nice caring Letters from a lonely misunderstood  59yrs old man who would love a penpall too write too through Snail mail hand written or typed on Computers in UK // USA
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Colinsaved26   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear what you are experiencing and going through.  I do understand. I myself am a Christian.

I also experienced a lot of problems volunteering . Which I can identify.

I would add please speak to your local council volunteer community unit.

They are very useful and informative.  I used them a lot. They then can give first a lot of support and guidance and most of important of all any problems can be there.

Please can I also suggest as a Christian have a look at The Salvation Army might be useful as many branches need volunteers.

https://www.thesalvationarmy.org.uk.

Helpline 020 7367 4500

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide advise and help new members who join the community.

Please ask if we can help with anything. Please ask some one will know a member of our team or a member of our community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.