Is this OCD? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is this OCD?

shrubs56
shrubs56 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
i support my son who has Asperger,anxiety and depression. Lately he’s developed an obsession to YouTube videos. All current affairs news items and conspiracy theories. Nothing wrong with that but now he can’t watch without constant rewinding to make sure he hasn’t missed anything. It’s taken over to the exclusion of anything else. I seem to have been enlisted to view with him and stop the rewinding. Is this support or enabling? Desperate to know what to do to help without exacerbating the problem? Thank you 

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shrubs56 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear of your son's health issues.  You may find the following organisation helpful to contact for support and information,

https://www.autism.org.uk/

There may be other members of the Community or one of the Community Team who may be able to suggest something else.  Please stay in touch and let us know how you and your son are getting on.  All the best.  :smile:

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    OCD takes many forms, the best advice I can give is a visit to see his GP, my DD had OCD related to food when she was recovering from anorexia and the doctors prescribed some medication for it (the name of which escapes me as it was 12 years ago) but it did work.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited October 2019
    Hi @shrubs56 and welcome to the community. MIND have some information about OCD here that might be of use, but if you have concerns I would, as woodbine advised, speak to your son's GP.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
    Hi OCD does take many different forms as said above. I suffer from it myself. I suffer with mainly what's called reassurance OCD where. I constantly need reassurance and help from relatives about my fears and anxieties. Other forms include contamination fears, checking OCD, even something called religious OCD where one becomes obsessed with religious beliefs and superstitions. I have been obsessed about looking at things and playing things back over and over to be sure I have heard it right. I can be draining on your mind. He could have a fear of something he's heard about and is trying to find answers. Best thing is to try to get him to occupy his mind some other way or try to stay off social media for a while. Sometimes CBT can help. Good Luck
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shrubs56 and a warm welcome to the community! How are you doing?
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.