Scooter or power chair users help? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scooter or power chair users help?

HayleyGeek
HayleyGeek Community member Posts: 12 Connected
edited October 2019 in Transport and travel
Hi. I cant self propel in my manual and my partner works full time so am housebound most of the week. I miss being able to go outdoors or a trip to the library. I can walk a small amount with crutches or cane but the pain after a short while gets too much. 

I need something outdoors only with ability to use in a shop. It also needs to be able to travel over grass and gravel for day trips out to parks or events etc. And also needs to be able to fold away to fit in the car as adapted car is not an option. 

Can anyone advise at all on what they use and if their foldable equipment can manage small terrain change and curbs?

Also my other worry is PIP. I'm awared enhanced for 2 years from March until 2021. What happens if they take it off me? 

Thanks 
Hayley 

Comments

• Matt_Scope
    Matt_Scope Scope Posts: 56 Pioneering
    Hi @HayleyGeek I'm a manual chair user, not a power chair user, however I have many friends that use them.  There is a degree of personal choice in this. but there are now a few power chairs that are light weight and fold to an extent (and relatively less costly than the bigger chairs too).  I would look at these first as I think these probably offer the most advantages. If you need something that really folds very small though, then it would have to be a scooter which would also be a cheaper option, however the smaller lightweight scooters may not be great on grass and gravel and may also be more likely to be restricted on buses.  
    There are retailers and mobility shops that will let you try out there chairs and scooters, I would try to visit one of these before making your choice.
    Not quite an answer for you I'm afraid, but I hope that helps.  I will try to send a link to these lighter chairs if I find it. 
    Good luck! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HayleyGeek and thank you for sharing this with us. I imagine it's taken some time to get your head around this idea. There are lots of options out there. This article reviews the 13 best folding electric wheelchairs which you might find useful. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.