My appointee was done behind my back and is now refusing to remove themselves! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My appointee was done behind my back and is now refusing to remove themselves!

PatelGinaS Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi!  :)

I’m new here so I’m not sure what to expect.

Basically I’m 24 years old and I live with my mum. I have left sided Cerebral Palsy.

For a number of years now, my mum has been my appointee with PIP.(It used to also be ESA but she ended it a few years ago, I was starting a new job at the time.)  

The appointee was done behind my back and she hid it from me for a number of years until I was going to put a claim in for PIP myself. The times when I wasn’t working, she used to go to the doctors behind my back to get sick notes to assist her with the claims. But I have stopped that now because I have changed doctors.
I’m due to start a new job soon and I’ve been trying to get support from Access to Work but they are refusing to speak to me because of the appointee. I made the initial application online with my support worker and when the advisor was allocated, me and my mum was sent an email which asked mum to give them a call. When it came to security questions, I had to give my mum the answer because she wasn’t originally aware of my new employer.

The advisor on the phone asked my mum if I was capable of managing my own affairs and she said yes. The advisor explained in that case I didn’t need an appointee and asked my mum to send an email to confirm this. My mum said she would but after since last night she has now gone back on her word.

My mum know full well I can manage my own finances, I have direct debits that come out of my account for my mobile and household bills such as TV,Broadband and Phone. I even pay for the Council Tax.

if I’m totally honest I don’t care if she gets my PIP money, l just want her remove as my appointee because I have no say otherwise and I can’t get the help I need with Access to Work. Every time I ask her for something to do with my PIP, it is done behind my back so I know there is some thing she is doing/done behind my back. 

As I’m on Universal Credit, I’ve left a message for my work coach to ring me on Monday- Wednesday to see if they can help me get her removed. I’ve sent an email to my support worker from the Work and Health Programme to contact.

has anyone even been in my position at all and if so, do you have any advice on the route to take and the evidence to proof? I have bank statements to proof of the direct debits.

Any help anyone can give I would be grateful for.
Thank you.


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @PatelGinaS   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    Sorry to hear what you are going through.

    I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help new members who join the community .

    I know there will be members of our community or a member of our team to give you anything they can advise.

    Hopefully they will be in touch to offer any thing.

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • PatelGinaS
    PatelGinaS Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Thank you. I was in touch with your helpline and I was advised to use this to get advice on the subject.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,599 Scope online community team
    Hi @PatelGinaS and a very warm welcome to the community. :)

    I'm really sorry to read about the issues you've been having with your mother's appointee status and the Access to Work scheme.

    I believe you'll need to contact the DWP yourself and they'll ask you to prove capacity. Have you tried speaking with PIP? 

    I've spoken to our team on the Scope Helpline and they've said they are advising you with this, but if you've any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
  • PatelGinaS
    PatelGinaS Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Yes I spoke to PIP but originally they weren’t speaking to me. After I spoke to your helpline, I got in with Workcoach and my council’s welfare officer, the welfare officer have managed to PIP to arrange a periodic review where they will have to see and speak to me directly(my mum isn’t aware of this.) I’m going to also print off copies of my bank statements to give to the officer that comes.

    is there anything else you can advise on official evidence as well as me verbally saying I’m capable?

    Thank you.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @PatelGinaS, I think the officer will just ask you questions which will show the mental ability to make financial, property and medical decisions for yourself.

    I hope it goes well. :)

  • PatelGinaS
    PatelGinaS Community member Posts: 12 Listener

    Thank you Chloe.
    Can I also go into what’s been happening with the claims without my mum being present in the room?
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @PatelGinaS

    There is a standard procedure that the DWP has to follow.

    You have show as the claimant, you can clearly show that you can manage your own benefits.

    The visiting officer will complete form, if the above is agreed.

    This form is taken back to the office to be counter signed, by another member of staff.

    A letter will be sent to you and your mother, stating you no longer need an Appointee.

    All benefits monies will be paid into your bank account.

    It has nothing to do with how you spend your money or health and well being.

    They would be dealt with a Lasting Power of Attorney, which has nothing to do with the DWP.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.
  • PatelGinaS
    PatelGinaS Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    edited October 2019
    Thank you. I just don’t know as the appointee was put in place a few years ago and DWP have NEVER seen me before.

    I didn’t know what to expect and I would rather they know exactly what my mum did as this happened due to DWP not seeing me. 

    I manage my own universal credit claim and I’ve ordered copies today of my last 3 months worth bank statements. 

    Can you please tell me how long it takes for the change to take place on the system? I need to reapply for Access to Work and I’ve asked my new employer to bear with me while I sort this out.

    Thank you.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    Hi @PatelGinaS

    You could speak to the visiting officer, when you meet him/her.

    You could ask the visiting officer to speak direct to Access to Work, to let them know you no longer have an appointee, whilst having the meeting.

    That should speed the whole process up for you.

    You should have the meeting on your own, you are an adult.
  • PatelGinaS
    PatelGinaS Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Ok thank you. I decided to end my original claim because of them only dealing with my mum and my mum messing everything up.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.