Finances and extra costs
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

What's a good way to get mortgage advice?

When I mean "What's a good way to get mortgage advice", I mean for someone who is not working due to health problems, and also, would like to see if there's any way that I could get some kind of mortgage using my benefits payments.  Thanks a lot for any comments.

Replies

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,934

Scope community team

Hi @ESABenefitsUK123.
    We have some information about getting a mortgage using benefits on our website, but there's also some on Money Advice Service.
    I hope they help!
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    You might also want to talk to your bank. 
  • Noir123Noir123 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    My best friend suggested I invest in buying a property with her to live but I know I couldn't be named on a mortgage. If I decided to do that and was named on the deed house to share would I still be able to keep my benefits. We have know each other from childhood and i trust her, though I would like to know my legal rights as a disabled person, I don't know how this would work. I have little savings under 3 thousand. I have pip also.

Kind regards
    Julie

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Noir123 said:
    My best friend suggested I invest in buying a property with her to live but I know I couldn't be named on a mortgage. If I decided to do that and was named on the deed house to share would I still be able to keep my benefits. We have know each other from childhood and i trust her, though I would like to know my legal rights as a disabled person, I don't know how this would work. I have little savings under 3 thousand. I have pip also.

Kind regards
    Julie

Why do you think you can't be named on a mortgage? Property you live in is disregarded for all means tested benefits. How are you planning on finding the money to invest in a property with your friend? Obtaining a mortgage while claiming benefits is very difficult.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Noir123Noir123 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    So I can be named on the deed? I have severe anxiety I over analyse everything.  I have savings under 3 thousand I was going to gift it to my friend  
Sign in or join us to comment.