Review of benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Review of benefit

cyprus
cyprus Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi there I have cerebral palsy and I’m in receipt of ESA higher rate and I have just received a letter to go to my local job centre to be interviewed regarding my financial circumstancesI just wanted to know if this is normal practice as it is the first time I have ever received this kind of letter

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    @cyprus

A very warm welcome.

Does it mention in the letter that it is a compliance interview.

That means they check what benefits you get and the like.

I would phone them to find out more.
  • cyprus
    I have already phoned them but the guy said he can’t speak to me over the phone and I would have to go In for the interview and I can’t email them any documents but he is a compliance officerBut it’s asking me for bank statements and suchlike and if I have any savingsI have never been in this situation before are used to get severe disability benefitSo I don’t know anything about the essay I just wondered if anyone else has had this experienceWhat they do at the interview as they won’t give me any information on what the interview for
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A compliance interview could simply be that they are checking you're receiving the correct benefits. It could also be to check for other things such house household income, savings and capital that you may have.

You will need to attend the interview because your benefits could stop if you don't. You will also need to make sure that you take what they've asked you to take, such as bank statements etc.

What they ask you will depend on the reasons for the compliance interview.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cyprus
    Thank you so very much so it is normal for them to ask for bank statements and all that kind of stuffIt’s just like I said I’ve never had to go through this beforeSo I don’t know what to expect and they don’t really tell you anythingAnd it kind of makes you think what’s going on why did I want to see me I have recently fallen out with some people and I thought someone might of done something out of spiteYou hear all the stories about how people get investigated because someone’s got it in for them
  • poppy123456
    Sometimes they do and sometime they don't request bank statements, it really depends on the reasons for the compliance interview. I usually advise, if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about but that's easier said than done.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cyprus
    Oh right thank you I really appreciate you putting my mind at rest it’s just I have real trust issues so when I fall out with someone I always expectSomeone to do something spiteful to me just to hurt me in some way just passed experience talking I supposeBut I really really appreciate you putting my mind at rest thank you
  • poppy123456
    No problem. It's possible that someone could have reported you for something but i'm really only guessing here. You do get some nasty people out there sadly.
  • cyprus
    I know I only thought that way because that’s happened to me before I was renting a private property and had a fall out with one of my neighbours and their nasty piece of workWent and told Dwp that I was committing housing benefit fraud so thatI lose my housing benefit and I have to move out of the flat I was in and potentially out of the area
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope it goes well @cyprus, please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• cyprus
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.