PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Rep for PIP Tribunal

Ben2303Ben2303 Member Posts: 24 Connected
edited October 2019 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi everyone, 

not to sure if its too late to be getting assitance here, but have a tribunal next tuesday for my PIP Appeal.

unfortunately i don't have anyone to go with.
Is there anywhere i can go where i can get a rep to come along to the tribunal with me?

been citizens advice, but they have said they dont offer a rep service..

thanks in advance

:)

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Welfare rights or a law centre will be a good place to start https://advicelocal.uk/

Do be aware that even with a rep they won't be able to answer any questions for you. You will be expected to answer them yourself because you're the only person that knows exactly how your conditions affect you.

Good luck with the Tribunal.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ben2303, how are you doing?

I really hope the tribunal goes okay tomorrow. Please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• Ben2303Ben2303 Member Posts: 24 Connected
    Thank you poppy and Chloe for your replies. 

I did hear from someone else, if I bring a rep along to the tribunal, they are limited to what they can say. 

Im just not looking forward to tomorrow one bit, I’ve had a break down already today, and can’t get myself out this state.... 

thanks again for both of your replies. 

Ben :-)
  • JurphJurph Member Posts: 346 Pioneering
    Good luck tomorrow Ben!

I took a representative to mine and although it was nice to someone with me, looking back, I could have done it on my own.

The tribunal want to hear it all from you. Just tell the truth. Perhaps wrote a list of what you want to say?

I messed mine up as I started to panic but my list kept me straight. The panel looked at my list for me when I was struggling to talk. It just gave me a moment to focus again.

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,532 Disability Gamechanger
    Please have a look at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/56379/representation-and-tribunal-hearings#latest.

There are no restrictions on what a representative can say but if you’re in the room then it’s you the panel need to speak to. Your rep is there to make sure you have the best case before you go in; that you have a fair hearing; that all relevant matters are covered and all misunderstandings addressed.

Scope are long overdue for updating their FAQs on this, which still suggest that Citizens Advice represent and make no mention of the many other great sources of advocacy and representation likely to be available to you.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,997

Scope community team

Hi @Ben2303. How did you get on today? 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.