UC, son with High rate DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

UC, son with High rate DLA

jenny_ann Member Posts: 18 Listener
DLA have awarded my son high rate care and low rate mobility. I’m also new to UC, will this be affected at all does anyone know? Thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,729 Disability Gamechanger

    Great news! I'm assuming you're claiming the child element of UC for your son? If so then yes you need to report those changes because you'll now be entitled to the higher disabled child element of UC, You will also be entitled to claim the carers element of UC provided you don't claim the LCWRA element yourself.
  • jenny_ann
    jenny_ann Member Posts: 18 Listener
    Oh thanks poppy, I’ve found UC such a minefield. Yes he is 10 so I do claim the child element. I’m overwhelmed with the whole process to be honest of DLA which just came through today and what it all means to benefits
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,729 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. You need to report the changes on your journal and the extra element should be backdated to the start of the DLA award.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,595 Scope online community team
    Hi @jenny_ann. When you make the change to your UC account to inform them of your son receiving high rate care DLA, be sure to put the date of change as the date the DLA has been awarded from (not the date you received the letter). 
    As Poppy said, this will now entitle you to the highest rate of disabled child element on UC in addition to the DLA. 
    Hope that helps!
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.