orthotics shoe alterations — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

orthotics shoe alterations

WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Member
I'm a bit lost I had my feet mouldings taken, that will then be cast and scanned?

Also I have two pairs of shoes steel toe cap ones I hate-but would like to keep my toes for work and a going out pair can I get both of these done and what am I liable to have to pay? I have a prescription payment certificate- will this cover it or will it cost hundreds I haven't got.

Secondly when the shoes wear out can I get the adjustments out like a normal inner sole or are the glued in and does it cost to swap.

Sorry for all the questions, but I didn't feel comfortable asking today


  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    My son had a appointment months ago to see his foot consultant at our local hospital.After the foot is measured and shoes have been ordered, I always ask for a second fashionable pair in case. It should not cost you much. I was like you at the very first appointment. I did not know what to ask and I was confused too. What type of shoes do you prefer to wear? 

    I recommend asking the doctor if this is possible or not. Alternatively you can also order special needs shoes from this company via their website https://www.orthoticshop.com/
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,642 Disability Gamechanger
    It may depend what type of alteration you need.  I do have a bit of experience with a thicker sole adaption.  It's glued on so non transferable.  And takes about 2 weeks between drop off and collection.

    You can have one per year for free but have to pay for another within that 12 months, I can't remember the cost though.
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Member
    I have work boots I hate with a passion but must wear for work
    And some light slip on one's. 
    Thanks for replying, could I work this in as PPE as work boot alteration?


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.