Welcomes and introductions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi I'm new

Hi I'm new to the community. 

I have fibromyalgia chronic fatigue, epilepsy and CpTSD  and im house bound at the moment.    I'm only 38 so quite an adjustment to get used too .   Struggling with lack of support at the moment. 

Replies

• thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Empowerment1981 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear your not too good . Finding it difficult no support.

You come to the right place. You are not alone.

I am one of the team of community champions..  We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

Please can I suggest do have the following support group.

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk.

Helpline 0800 800 5050

Monday to Thursday 8.30am To 8pm.
    Friday8.30am To 4.30pm.
    Saturday10.00 am.  To 4pm.

I also have the following mental health charities which may be of use to you for your CpTSD.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Get floating support and or an outreach worker. Help with your mental health and wellbeing.

Any advice, guidance with anything else such as benefits or additional disabilities or issues.

I would look at the MIND website as well.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

They might not be in all areas.

Another one is RETHINK 

https://www.rethink.org.

Useful as an advocate for any problems with your care.

Please have a look around our forum and website. We are friendly.

Please enjoy your time with us.

Please ask if we can help and advise some one will know. A member of our team or a member of community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

Scope community team

Hi @Empowerment1981! I just wanted to wish you a warm welcome to the community. Many of our members will be able to relate to what you're going through, so hopefully you'll find lots of support here. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • AilsAils Member Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Empowerment1981 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear of your health struggles and lack of support.  Please be assured that you are not alone as we are all here to support you.  You will find the forum to be a friendly, supportive space with lots of lovely people on it.  I can appreciate how difficult it must be to be housebound.  Do you have any hobbies you can do at home?  I find reading and doing some crafts can cheer me up when I am stuck in.  Also coming on here and chatting away can while away an hour or two also!  I hope you enjoy your time with us and please let us know how you are getting on.  If there is anything we can help you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Empowerment1981Empowerment1981 Member Posts: 21 Listener
    Hi Ails.

Thank you for your message.   I do craft stuff and like painting.   Just had an order from hobby craft today with craft kits. 

It's very tough being house bound and having no support. 

Hope to connect more on here and not feel so isolated. 
    Hi @Empowerment1981, you are very welcome.  Glad to hear you like crafts too.  I enjoy making cards and I knit.  What kind of crafts and painting do you do?  You will find a lot of our members enjoy doing crafts too and a lot of people share photos of their work on our Kaleidoscope page if you wish to have a look:-

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/41283/kaleidoscope-our-own-gallery-for-members-art-work-crafts-and-photographs?_ga=2.206395283.1210385956.1573054393-525998048.1569505696

Yes, I can appreciate how tough it must be for you being housebound and having no support.  Have you spoken to your GP about this to see if there is anything they can offer?  You will definitely find lots of support and friendship on here.  I have been on this Community for over a year now and have met many great people on it.  I'm sure you will too.  It's great having you on board anyway and I hope you enjoy doing your new crafts.  Please feel free to chat anytime.  :smile:
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Member Posts: 7,435 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Empowerment1981 and welcome to the community! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
    I've got a candle making kit.  Tile mosaic kit and painting kits.     Not really because I'm house bound I'm only managing telephone appointments with my gp now.   I was meant to have a care assessment last year but all cancelled and can't cope with the stress of dealing with mental health services.      Thanks for the link to the craft work always interesting too see.
    Oh sounds fab!  I've always been interested in candles and how they get made.  Let us know how you get on with them.  I'm sorry to hear your care assessment got cancelled and can appreciate this is stressful.  I sometimes get phone appointments with my GP too and just wondered if they could even help over the phone or by giving you a house visit as it sounds as though you really need some kind of physical support.  I hope you get something sorted anyway, but we are always here to support you should you need it.  Many of our members are housebound too so can relate to what you are going through.  No worries re the link as lots of lovely crafts on it and I look forward to seeing yours on there at some point.  :smile:
    I think the candle one might have to wait until i have more energy.   My fibromyalgia is bad at the moment.

I don't think my gp does home visits.  Does your gp visit u at home?  
    I'm sorry to hear that your fibromyalgia is bad just now, @Empowerment1981.  I would assume that most, if not all GP's, do home visits.  Mine's has visited me if I am in pain and can't get out.  Don't get me wrong, some may be reluctant to, but I'm sure if you explain your circumstances and the fact that you can't get out then he/she would agree to see you at home.  Maybe worth a try.  I hope you manage to get your candle making done and feel better soon.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  :smile:
    Thank u for the advice I do need to probably see the gp face to face more.     Do you get support? 
    You are very welcome, @Empowerment1981.  Yes, it would be a good idea for you to see your GP at some point.  Also what about phoning Social Work to see if they can provide any support for you?  Just a thought.  Yes, I am quite lucky as my husband is my carer so I relay on him a lot and I get support from family and friends at times too.  Also you may be interested to read the recent threads on here about Social Prescribing, as that might be an option for some support for you.  If you go into the Recent Discussions, you will find it there.

If I can think of anything else then I will post, but I'm sure other members or the team will have some ideas too and of course, you will get support on the Community too.  Please feel free to chat anytime.  :smile:
    When I rang up the adult social care last they were so rude too me.  That's nice u have your hubby to rely    .    It can be tough at times 
    Oh I'm really sorry to hear that, @Empowerment1981.  That is not on!  I know that must have put you off, but maybe ring back to speak to someone else and even complain to them that someone was rude to you before.  Or even if they have an email address, maybe drop them an email as sometimes it is easier to write things down than speak on the phone.  I hope you get some kind of support and please let us know how you get on with it.  Yes, it can be tough at times, but there is help out there.  I would probably be stuck if I didn't have my husband as we live over an hour away from family and friends.  I hope you are ok and having a nice evening.  :smile:
    Virgin care are in a terrible state there's reports on the news about the way they treat people and bad staff moral.   There is another service but will have to pay 46 pounds per week for 2 hrs support time.   Unfortunately I don't have any friends or family so very isolated.    There is lots of groups here but more for able bodied people.    Would be lost without asda online shop the milkman and pharmacy delivery to get my meds.   I'm watching corrie tonight how's your evening?
    I have never heard of Virgin Care myself, but that sounds awful about the way they treat people.  Yes, the other service I can understand would be very expensive for only 2 hours.  I'm really sorry to hear that you are so isolated.  I would encourage you to contact either your GP or social work for some kind of support or to try to look at the thread for Social Prescribing to see if that can be of any help.  Do you have any kind neighbours who could look in on you?  I'm glad to hear that you have some contact in the form of Asda online, the milkman and the pharmacy delivery service.  That must be a great help to you and you will get a wee chat there I would imagine?  We sometimes get Tesco delivery and the drivers can be really nice and chatty!

I hope you are enjoying Corrie.  It is quite good just now, isn't it?  I stopped watching it for a while there, but have started to watch it again now and getting back into it.  What other tv programmes do you enjoy watching?  I enjoy documentaries, some comedy and reality shows.  My evening is ok, thanks.  I am one of the Community Champions on here so just catching up as haven't been on for a few days.  Watching tv too.  :smile:
    I'll definitely look at the social prescribing is that on this site?
    No I've only lived here 4 months and to be honest no body really speaks to one another.  I have a home library Ser vice I access I met the lady last wk she is assigning me a volunteer to come and bring me books. 

The online services are a life line too me.

Yeah love corrie even in the saddest parts they bring humour to it.

I love Netflix they bring something new every week on there.  I seem to be into season's at the moment.   I like comedy as well can lift your spirits can't it ?

Must be really helpful to connect to others in similiar circumstances.    

Yes, it's on this site, if you click on the "Recent Discussions", you will find a couple of discussions/threads about Social Prescribing.  It is quite interesting and you may find it useful.  I'm sorry to hear that your neighbours don't speak to each other.  We live in a semi-rural village and nobody really speaks to each other here either unless you have been born and bred in the area and we haven't and have lived here for just over 2 years.  That's great to hear about the home library service and that you are getting a volunteer to come to your home.  Yes, when you have a disability/illness, often online services are a life line to you when you can't get out and I'm glad to hear that you are making use of them.  You will find this Community also to be a great life line too.  I have been a member for just over a year and it has helped me a lot being on here and just chatting to people.  

Yes, Corrie is an institution, isn't it?  Been very sad lately, but yes, it can still be funny too!

Oh that's good you have Netflix.  One of my friends has it and loves it! I've heard it's very good.  We have Sky, but often I just watch Freeview in our bedroom, especially if I am in pain.  Yes, comedy certainly cheers you up!  What's your favourite comedies?  I love Only Fools and Horses, Absolutely Fabulous and The Big Bang Theory. 

I am logging off now as going to have some supper and feed my wee cat, but will be back on tomorrow so will be happy to chat again, anytime.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your evening.  All the best.  :smile:  

I'll take a look thank u.
    Think in this day and age neighbours don't really talk to one another seems very insular. 

Gosh got so many watching something on Netflix called schitt's creek at the moment that's very funny.

Yeah the big bang was great was sad when it ended.

Enjoy your supper great chatting . 
    Hello @Empowerment1981   Please can I ask did you look at the links I provided for you.

I am sorry what you are going through.

My friend @Ails has been chatting to you and I hope that helps. Very supportive member of our Community Champions Team.

I am aware if you not happy with any care you have this is something I know myself.

You can either consider looking for alternatives.

Look on line.

I know you could complain.  Use RETHINK.

The links I provided.  If ever contacted any of these organisations.

They are there to support you.  Offer some guidance, advice and signposting to anything you need to be keeping you healthy and do care.

Please if I can help with anything further. Please get in touch happy to be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    Hi The Spiderman

Yes thank you for the links .  Unfortunately I don't think they based in my area.  I live in Bath. 

Best wishes 
    Empowerment1981
    edited November 2019
    Hello @Empowerment1981   Thank you just some information out there. Thought it might help.

I have and do live on my own have illness and disability. I know myself need to find support and some help.

You are entitled to good mental health or care. If it is not working then you need to say so.

No one more than my self knows than about bad services.

To give you reassurance and confidence we as a community are here to be supportive and are friendly.

I know it is difficult every day.

I have no car struggle to get out have and use this forum daily.  On line for every thing shopping, meds, banking. Have a wealth of knowledge, expertise from my own life experiences.

Had mental health now ongoing thirty years been an alcoholic now clean for twelve years so had to use the above links.

Plus anything else to help with addiction.

I mentioned did help got educated, knowledge and lots more doors opened to looking at wellbeing and health.

Got qualifications around my interest in wellbeing and health. Once you know how to cope and deal with your self. Can be beneficial.

You can cope with your conditions or problems. I found being positive and thinking what I need.

Just thought explain my situation you are not alone. I

Found this as well.

https://www.carenearme.co.uk.

Also one other point if these links are not available in your area then look on line for support.  Make a note of what is in your area. I do this and continue to do so.

Speak to your GP as well if not happy. I use advocates if not happy have done before. Does work.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Hi @Empowerment1981, how are you today?  Glad you are enjoying Netflix.  Sounds great!  My supper was nice, thank you.  Hope your day has been good.  Glad to see my friend, @thespiceman, has been in touch with you too to give you some very good info.  :smile:
    Hi Ails.

I'm ok bit fed up with landlord.  Explained the 1 radiator in the lounge only stays on for 1 hr and I have fibromyalgia and caught a cold and important I stay warm.  Luckily there are 2 radiators in the lounge 
     They said if they arrange for an enigeer and they can't detect a fault I have to pay the 60 pounds call out fee.  
    Hope your day has being okay?  

Hi @Empowerment1981, I can understand you being fed up at your landlord.  That's not good if you only have the one radiator working as you do need it for your health.  Yes, our landlord is the same if we report something and an engineer comes up and finds nothing wrong then we get charged too.  It does seem a bit unfair, but I assume that most landlords are the same.  I hope you get it fixed and manage to stay warm.  Not great to hear you caught a cold.  

My day has been ok, thanks.  Been out for most of the day at the opticians and local shops.  A bit chilly out.  I hope your day has been ok too.  :smile:
    Have u had to pay for a lot of call out charges?  Rented for 7 yrs now don't seem to any ethical landlords anywhere.  Is your land lord decent? I really want to rent a national trust properties they look well looked after.   Fed up with not able to have a dog.

It's certainly getting into winter now dark early.  Glad u had a nice day.  
    Yes, had to pay a couple of times for a kitchen light and one of our radiators that ended up working ok.  Yes, think many landlords are the same.  Sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience of landlords.  Our landlord is ok as they get things done quite quickly.  I've not heard of national trust properties myself, but they sound nice.  That's a shame you can't have a dog.  Is that because the landlord doesn't allow pets?  Have you had dogs in the past?  We have a cat.  Yes, winter is just around the corner and very dark early.  Thanks, hope your day has been good.  :smile:
    I'm sorry u had to incur costs were they expensive? I guess it's about money isn't it no compassion or kindness.

The landlord won't allow pets think having a dog would be really healing for me.

What's your cat called?  

My day being ok watching corrie now 🤗
    I think it was around £60 all in, it was a couple of years ago.  I hope you get your radiator fixed.  Yes, it is about money, I agree.  I think it is just a business to them and landlords sometimes forget about tenants needs.  That's a shame you aren't allowed to keep a pet as pets are great and really therapeutic.  My cat's name is Christy.  She is 6 and a rescue cat.  She is my fur baby, lol!  Glad your day is ok and hope you enjoyed Corrie.  I recorded it tonight.  Do you like any other soaps?  :smiley:
    There does seem to be a lack of care and focus on profit.  Yeah think I'll just have to have them out. 

Christy sounds lovely  .

A dog would make a massive difference to my life .

Not really I used to watch holby city but got no tv aerial here so just watch stuff on the laptop.

Emailed the practice manager about home visits as I expressed I was only getting 2 min phone call once a month to get meds from gp and felt I was slipping through the net.  She said they don't do home visits unless there is a clinical reason.
    Yes, probably best to get the engineer out.  I hope it goes well.  Thank you, yes she is a nice wee cat, but I am biased, lol!  She is very gentle and knows when I am in pain and comes and lies on my lap to make me feel better.  Yes, having a dog would probably help you and I hope you manage to get one in the future.  A pet is great company too and great for our well-being.  

I used to watch Holby City too, but got bored with it.  I enjoy Casualty, but not a fan of the other soaps.  That's good you watch programmes on your laptop, keeps you going.  

That's good you emailed the practice manager, but that is a shame they don't do home visits.  It seems unfair that they are unwilling to visit when they know you are housebound just now.  Did you manage to find the discussions on Social Prescribing?  I saw that the @thespiceman gave you some good links to look into too.  I hope the info helps.  :smile:

She sounds very healing and a real comfort to u in times of need. Do u manage the gp ok?

I feel it is unfair I bet to do with money again.

I did look but couldn't find anything on it not sure I was looking in the right place.

Yes  thespiceman links were interesting to read about different services 
    Yes, she is great thanks and gives me a lot of joy.  I usually can manage to the GP either on my mobility scooter or my husband takes me sometimes, but I usually like to go under my own steam as it is literally just around the corner from where we live so is very handy.  I have at times, requested the GP to do a home visit when I have been in real pain and they have been resistant at first, but after pressing them for it they have come out.  It is probably to do with money and budget constraints, but it is very unfair and you do probably need it.  

Here is one of the links to Social Prescribing if you are interested,

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/65029/social-prescribing-what-it-is-and-how-it-might-help#latest

Glad you found the links @thespiceman sent you to be interesting.  He is a really helpful and caring Community Champion.  :smile:

I'm glad u have being able to access gp home visits at a push.  
    Definitely a money issue all services are.

Thanks for the link I'll take a look.  

Thanks, yes money issues everywhere.  You are welcome.  I hope you find it helpful.  :smile:
    Always good to connect to understanding kind people. 
    Yes, it does wonders just talking to people who know what you are going through and who can offer support.  I have been a member on here for over a year now and it has helped me so much just chatting to lovely folk and making some wonderful friends.  I'm sure you will too.  :smile:
    So difficult even the best intentioned people don't really understand.  So good to connect to people who understand.   Lovely chatting
    Yes, I agree.  People can be kind and have good intentions, but unless you are in that position yourself then you can only understand and appreciate how the other person is feeling.  That is what is great about this Community, we all have our disabilities/health issues and so can support each other and know what everyone is going through.  Yes, it is lovely chatting and meeting you.  :smile:
    Sometimes find it difficult to relate to people who are healthy and working.  Like I don't understand their world and they don't understand mine.  Before my advocate had to stop supporting me cause of funding cuts.  She misheard me and said 3 days gosh that's a long time to be stuck in. I said no 3 wks. She just looked shocked as though it was so abnormal.  Yet that's my life.

Yes, I can appreciate how difficult it is relating to people who are healthy and are working as sometimes I had friends who can't understand, even though they are really kind.  I'm sorry to hear that your advocate was stopped.  Have you got any chance of getting another one?  Yes, 3 weeks is a long time to be stuck indoors and yes, someone who is out all the time can't understand that.  
    No support at the moment.  The service I mentioned that's 46 pounds per week got in touch today saying they hoping for me to meet their support workers soon. Will wipe me out but can't carry on in this isolation.

I used to think it was because the people were judging me . But now I understand if u haven't walked in someone's shoes relating can be tough.  

Going to bed now getting tired.  Being great chatting hope u sleep well. 
    Oh great to hear that you are going to receive some support from support workers.  Yes, worth the effort as you won't be isolated with them.  Ok, I hope you have a nice sleep and lovely chatting to you too.  Off to bed myself.  Good night.  :smile:
    Hello @Empowerment1981   Sorry to hear about every thing.

Please can I ask did you contact any one on the links .  I provided for you.

Just have care and concern you are suffering.

Please can I also add your Landlords provide a duty of care. If you signed a contract an agreement. 

Mentions costs in the contract then I am afraid that is wrong in my opinion.

Most Landlords if you consider looking at Housing Associations do not charge but include this in the rent as a service charge.

Just a minimum amount.

I would add consider talking to the contacts I provided for you.

I say this because support workers from mental health charities do fight for you and support whatever you need to deal with.

I am trying to give you some confidence and self esteem to move forward.

Be supportive have compassion and do understand.

Please think about speaking to some one my own Housing Association.

https://www.homegroup.org.uk.

I am sorry what you are going through.  Please can I add ask any questions anything you need to know or think you might not know the answer.

You have been speaking to my friend @Ails good to hear this. Amazing lady and very kind, and supportive.

Please keep in touch we are here to help. Think positive I am always here every day.

If I can help with anything.  Does not have to mental health.  Have a vast knowledge on lots of lifestyle and other things.

Even I do not know everything , contact members on laptops, anything electrical, services and so on.

Keep safe and warm.

You important to us the community.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    Hi thespiceman

I did look at the links Thank you.  But I'm not in the areas they cover.  Also with fibromyalgia I find it difficult taking in large amounts of info and print. 

I'm in a rented property there aren't any housing association involved.  But do appreciate they provide lower costs.  

Thank you for your message and support. 
    Best wishes 
    Empowerment1981
    Hello @Empowerment1981   Thank you for reply.

I have friends on this forum who suffer the same as you. Just an idea write down any thing in a note book to use as reference.

Also I do myself have memory problems with addiction so do this as well.

We are here any time to listen be supportive.

Keep in touch.

Pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
Sign in or join us to comment.