Managing leg pain and discomfort daily living please help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Managing leg pain and discomfort daily living please help

Birdsnbees
Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
Hello scope

I'm struggling to manage my pain in recovery from an operation on my leg. I'm also struggling to be bothered with anything to try anything do anything because everything involves me trying to lug my leg in and out of bed everywhere around the house trying to get out involves extra effort

It's like carrying around an extra weight I hope it gets better soon

I have physio soon and can chat to them

I get pain in my left leg and going out of place from a birth defect added by using it more at the moment with op on right leg

Has anyone here dealt with a similar thing? How did you cope at the time? How do you cope with the additional strain and add on to daily life caused by being disabled?

dr has said 3 months recovery, will have to see how it is after then

I am taking pain relief I'm still getting pain discomfort often above and beyond this I'm going to see my gp soon and can ask them soon what they think

Is there anything else we can do beyond eating well and taking meds to help cope? taking it easy?

I am trying to relax. maybe I need more help around the house or to get out places. I'm waiting on my housing to be resolved and hearing about getting an ot in to help with changes need this takes forever though why are landlords and banks discriminating against the disabled and social housing wait lists so long society pretends to support disabled then denies us proper housing in reasonable fair time or being housed the same as any healthy person would have

I'd like to hear from you and your experiences of this

Thank you

Birdsnbees xx

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Birdsnbees

I find that light stretches help. Also I try to remain upbeat and positive as much as possible. My son has a birth defect too. I used a notebook to describe my emotions etc during the first year after he was born. Every week I would quickly sum up my feelings in ten sentences or less.

The key is to think of five words that accurately describe feelings. You can buy a notebook online or from your local bookshop. Good luck. Have you ever heard of a mood diary or not? 

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery! You are in my prayers. Whenever my son had a procedure, I found a lot of solace in talking about my feelings with someone else. It was oddly cathartic. Ask if you can be referred to a therapist or counsellor. 
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Hi @Birdsnbees I had a stroke in 2012. I have permanent weakness in my left side and my arm and leg are constantly in pain. Mine tuns out to be Neuro but before that I was taking Amitriptyline when I needed to rest and it gave me relief. Some people take it every day but I couldn't stay awake once I took it. Might be worth asking about? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Birdsnbees, sorry you have been in more pain because of your operation, it sounds like it's becoming very draining.

When are you due to see the physio? I really hope they can help you further. Also, it might be worth asking your GP or physio for an occupational therapy referral as they'll be able to see if any equipment or support can make things a little easier for you.

I hope today hasn't been too bad and please do keep us updated. :)
    Scope

• Birdsnbees
    Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
    Hey everyone thanks for your input. Stretches sound good @April2018mom and have heard of a mood diary something to try

I think talking to someone would be helpful I do find it hard trying to find someone who is nonjudgmental.

@pcoventry how are you doing now? I tried amitryptline some time back. maybe can try again

@Chloe_Scope yes I think it gets me low as well the expectation of everyone wanting you to be well when you're still not. Sure something anyone with a chronic condition can relate to

I've seen the physio recently, they are brill and will see them again soon. I have asked for an OT assessment my housing is in a difficult situation at the moment so I've had an advocate try to sort it for me.

Thank you. To be honest I think all of this has been exasperated by bullying I have experienced from a care provider.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Birdsnbees, this makes sense! I'm glad to hear physio has been good and that you have an OT who is supporting you.

It's not your fault if you are not well and I'm sorry you feel the pressure from others.

How are things going at the moment? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.