Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


reefalee Member Posts: 10 Listener
Hiya guys I'm new here, I've suffered with mental health issues since 2011, always been urged to apply for sick benefits and never wanted to out myself through more stress waiting for a outcome. So just stuck with being on income support. So 3 weeks ago I took overdose, got realised from the hospital and started seeing the home treatment team they was visiting me.everyday for two weeks with my.medication. ome of the ladies said aretha please call.for a pip form. So I did, sent it back last week. I'm so nervous and anxious because I've read in a few forums that lots have been turned down for mental health issues. I have a diagnois of personalitly disorder, pstd, depression, anxiety and type 2 diabetes. A lady that works at cmht helped fill out my form. So I'm really hoping it's a straight forward thing. How long do u wait for an assement?
Another thing I'm currently.on income support like I said above, is it tru I'd need to apply for universal credit to apply for the new style esa? I dont have a clue it's all abit confusing. I get tax credit, income support and carers allowance, I have two children that are on dla. Would be grateful if any one could shed some light please. Thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,258 Disability Gamechanger

    PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

    Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them, it's rare to have a paper based decisions. There's no timescales for the waiting times for this, it depends on backlog in your area.

    As you're claiming Income Support, i'm assuming you're claiming this because you're claiming carers allowance for one of your children, is this correct? If so then i'd advise you to stay on income support. If you claimed New style ESA there's no disability premiums available with this. By staying on Income support if you're awarded the daily living part of PIP then you'll receive extra money in with your Income Support.

    Financially it's much better to remain on what you're claiming.

    Hope this helps. Good luck with the PIP.
  • reefalee
    reefalee Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi poppy thank you for your reply, yes I know pip isnt rewarded based on diagnosis. I get income support because my youngest child is 3 years old. The only thing with income support I get letters to attend the job centre and I cant cope with the whole.job centre thing, my anxiety goes through the roof, my doctor writes a letter for me everytime I go. 
    Il defintley stay on income support seems much less hassle. And like you've said I'd be better of financially.

    Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,258 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. I realise the work focused interviews are needed when claiming Income support but they are usually every 6 months.

    Even though your child is under 5, you will remain on Income support  even after they reach 5 years old because you're claiming carers allowance and this will allow you to remain on income support. Unless the Universal credit transfer process has taken place by that time, which i doubt very much.
  • reefalee
    reefalee Member Posts: 10 Listener
    @poppy123456 can you help me understand this letter I received today please. I sent of my form 2 weeks ago so really surprised at this quick response. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,258 Disability Gamechanger

    It's just telling you that they have contacted a health professional for more information. All you can do is wait to see what happens next, if they have enough information they will do a paper based assessment, otherwise they will send a an appointment letter for a face to face assessment.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @reefalee and a warm welcome to the community. I know this process can be unknown, but I hope the advice that's been given is useful.

    How are you doing at the moment? I'm glad to hear you are now receiving more support. If you ever feel in crisis again then please do call Samaritans on 116 123 or you can text shout to 85258 and a crisis volunteer.

    If there's anything we can do to help with your PIP application then please let us know. :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.