I'm on ESA and paterner had to leave work health grounds — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I'm on ESA and paterner had to leave work health grounds

Hello all.

I am claiming ESA support group I am in, my partner was working 20 hours and is on the forms with me and they have accounted for his 20hours a week.

He now dosent work atall due to health reasons.
He recived his P45 today and was wandering what we now need to do.

Dose he have to start up a new claim with jobseeker's or beacuse he on my ESA claim dose he just need to let the jobcentre know he now not in work, hand them his P45 and then they will have him in looking for work on jobseeker's anyway.

Any information would be great.
Never had to go through this before so not to sure what to do.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,477 Disability Gamechanger
  • clare_1
    clare_1 Member Posts: 123 Pioneering
    Yes I have read through that.

    Back then I didn't if I was going to get PIP and now I know they giving me Standard for both living and mine ing around, I am doing  MR though beacuse scoring isnt right.

    I know you said we need to inform them and we are going to and you said couples is £177 something for support group. 
    I'm asking about partner what will he get/ entitled  to? because he hasnt needed to go to any assessments beacuse he was working 20 hours, he isnt in support group he just on my paper work as partner. I'm the only one who is not able to work due to illnesses.

    So was unsure if he would get Job seekers allowance, if he could claim carer's allowance and who we would go about claiming carers if we can. Will the job centre help with this
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,477 Disability Gamechanger
    In your other thread you said your partner was sacked for unfair dismissal but in this one you said he had to leave work on health grounds? I'm confused by that. Is he fit for work or not?

    If he's unfit for work he could claim New style ESA in his own right, if he's paid enough NI contributions from working in the years April 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 but he'll need a fit note from his GP to be able to claim this and a face to face assessment will most likely be needed at some point, along with evidence to support his claim. If he claims this then he won't be able to claim Carers allowance for looking after you because you can't claim both of these together because they are overlapping benefits.

    New style ESA pays £73.10 per week BUT it's only paid for 52 weeks unless placed into the support group.

    If he has paid enough NI Contributions in those years then all the advice you need is in the other thread. To recap that, he's already on your claim but you'll need to ring ESA as advised to report he's no longer working. They will then recalculate your ESA and full payments will restart back. Amount will be approximately £177 per week.

    He won't need to be assessed if he's on your claim because it's your claim and he's your partner and you're claiming as a couple. He would be able to claim carers allowance if he was added to your claim and to claim this he will need to apply online.

    If he was added onto your claim with claiming carers allowance you were receive £143 per week ESA as a couple and he would receive £66.15 per week carers allowance.

    When carers allowance is claimed you will then receive £147 per week ESA and he will receive £66.15 per week carers allowance, making you both £36.85 better of per week than if he wasn't claiming carers allowance.

    You could also speak to a an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,477 Disability Gamechanger
    If you're claiming housing benefit then you'll need to report the changes to your local council that your partner is no longer working.
  • clare_1
    clare_1 Member Posts: 123 Pioneering
    Thank you Poppy once again for the help.

    I cant take in information properly so when someone tells me something I get it all mixed up and wrong information is given.

    I should really get someone to save write for me but this is the only thing I have I can control on my own.

    My paterner dose try and dull things down so I don't stress or panic about things
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for helping here @poppy123456, I hope you have got all the information you need, but please do let us know if we can do anything else. :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.