Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.
Mandatory Reconsideration success!
Wanted to let people know that I managed to get a fit-for-work decision reversed at the Mandatory Reconsideration stage, by asking my MP to get involved. She wrote a complaint to the DWP on my behalf (about the fact that I've had to appeal repeatedly), at the same time that I sent in my MR request. She got a pretty rubbish response from a 'complaints resolution manager' at the DWP, which didn't promise anything at all. But then a couple of weeks later I got a letter telling me that my MR had been successful and the decision was changed - my ESA will continue and I am still in the Support Group as well.
I'm certain this was only because my MP intervened - I'm pretty sure it caused my MR to be looked at by someone more senior than usual, because the decision letter was extremely well written and even on nicer paper. I've been through 2 ESA appeals (and one for IB) before, my health has not changed, and the only thing I did differently this time was to contact my MP.
So, for anyone else who's being made to appeal repeatedly, perhaps it's worth finding out if your MP is willing to help. It shouldn't be like this, of course, but while the system remains so hostile this might be a way for some of us to make it work more like it should do. I am so relieved not to be facing another months-long wait and all the stress and prep of a tribunal.
- 48.4K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.9K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 619 Work and employment
- 516 Education
- 939 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 906 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 237 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.1K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 1.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 577 Chronic pain and pain management
- 636 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 688 Autism and neurodiversity
- 819 Mental health and wellbeing
- 283 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.