Is an ESA home visit mandatory or can I insist on attending a centre/clinic? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is an ESA home visit mandatory or can I insist on attending a centre/clinic?

Options
KnobblyKnees
KnobblyKnees Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
Two months ago I cancelled a home visit as I explained I am in a house-share situation and there would be confidentiality issues and requested they change the venue to one of their centres. Now a couple of weeks after I made a MR for PIP, they have sent another appointment for a home visit ESA assessment for the 4th of December. I won't be able to get an appointment to see my GP before that date and will have to rely on the evidence I currently possess. Must I comply with a home visit or have I the right to insist it takes place at a neutral location? Many thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi,

This would have nothing to do with you requesting the MR for your PIP decision because DWP have nothing to do with the assessments. For work capability assessment it's the Health assessment advisory service who send appointments.

When you rang to cancel the appointment to ask for it to take place in one of the centres did you tell them why you didn't want the home assessment?

Home assessments aren't mandatory but they will offer one automatically if you live outside a certain distance from an assessment centre. You can find your nearest centre here by putting in your postcode. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/find-your-assessment-centre

If there's one close to you and because you've already canceled the first home assessment then you'll need to ring them tomorrow morning and ask why you've been sent another home assessment. If the worst does happen and you can't cancel this appointment is it possible for the assessment to take place in your own room? I know you house share but even when sharing you still have your own room, it's only the communal areas you have to share.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KnobblyKnees
    Options
    I cancelled an ESA F2F home visit in October because of confidentiality issues and now they've sent another home visit appointment. Have I the right to insist the assessment takes place at one of their centres? In a way, by making these home visit appointments is this an admission that they recognise I do have genuine mobility problems? I think they've shot themselves in the foot there, but they wouldn't get awarded any benefits!
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @KnobblyKnees - does the reverse argument not apply? If they're offering to come to your home and you insist on attending the assessment centre then presumably you don't have mobility issues?

I believe that F2F assessments are carried out at home if you live more than a certain distance from the nearest centre...
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @KnobblyKnees,

I think that @Poppy123456 has already answered your question in your other post on 24th November.

The DWP do tend to book home visits if they think that a person will struggle to attend a face to face assessment either because of their health issues and/or if they live a long way from an assessment centre.

Usually people are fighting to have a home assessment. I am slightly concerned that telling them you want to go to the assessment centre will make you seem more able than you have put on your form? I think Poppy asked you if you would be able to have the assessment in your room, would that be possible?

Joanne 
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I completely agree with about declining the home assessment and them thinking you can do more than you say you can do. I would definitely consider the assessment taking place in your room, after all that is your space on no one else will be there.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KnobblyKnees
    Options
    Yes I can see your point, I do have severe mobility problems but I would crawl to a centre if necessary rather than discuss my XY intersex condition in insecure conditions. It's not my fault you cannot get home visits or that I was born with a birth defect that attracts such overt hatred and abuse directed at trans people, who are a different tribe btw.
    And let the trolls begin!!!
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @KnobblyKnees,

Have you been to an assessment centre before, or is this your first assessment?

In my experience the assessment centres are not a very secure environment. Doors seem to be opening and shutting all the time, people coming and going.

I would think that your home may be more secure, but I guess it is down to where you feel as comfortable as you can in what are inevitably uncomfortable circumstances.

Have you explained this to the assessors? I hope you manage to persuade them.

Joanne 
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just to let you know, I have merged the two threads which were discussing the same thing.
    I hope you are able to sort this @KnobblyKnees and please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• KnobblyKnees
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the replies. I can only access my posts through an email link tbh. I was born with multiple endocrine problems and my thyroid packed up last year which leaves me a bit befuddled and I can'r remember what or when I posted stuff.
    Yes I've had 3 assessments with ATOS which seemed pretty secure except the 2nd doctor thought it was acceptable to 'out' me to a waiting room full of other poor souls and the receptionist when he rang their HQ and was pretty incensed to complain that I shouldn't have been called in at all. You can imagine the looks I got when I exited, the 'thing' from another world muhaha. The third doctor smirked throughout the assessment, and was pretty hostile. Hypocratic Oath, huh?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.