Using Slimming world or Weight Watchers as a wheelchair user — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Using Slimming world or Weight Watchers as a wheelchair user

Options
Garza
Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
I am trying to lose weight and have been for many years, I wondered if there were any wheelchair users here who use either of the above groups? 

I have contacted them both and neither have any wheel on scales nationally which I think in this day and age is far from inclusive, especially for such a large and lucrative industry

My questions are 

Do you use the group and just not get weighed? 

Do you not use the group because you cant get weighed ? 

and finally 

if such a group existed which was inclusive would you attend? 

thanks for you  anticipated input

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We are not members of any SW or WW group. I am naturally slim and my son and daughter are too little to be allowed to attend meetings I think. Possibly. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,989 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

I'm a community champion here on scope and i've been a member of Slimming World since 2016. Part of the reason for joining is that you weigh each week, so joining and not weighing isn't something i'd advise doing.

May i ask if you're able to stand at all? If you can then weighing just take a few seconds and then it's done.

I'm sorry but i've never been a member of weight watchers so can't advise on that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    HI,

I'm a community champion here on scope and i've been a member of Slimming World since 2016. Part of the reason for joining is that you weigh each week, so joining and not weighing isn't something i'd advise doing.

May i ask if you're able to stand at all? If you can then weighing just take a few seconds and then it's done.

I'm sorry but i've never been a member of weight watchers so can't advise on that.
    thanks for the reply, I am a paraplegic and a full time wheelchair user
  • Chloebird
    Chloebird Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I think in this day and age they don't have ramped scales for wheelchairs. 
    It's so unfair and some would say its discrimination. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @chloebird :) It this something you've experienced yourself? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Options
    Are there any local disability charities where you live? I used to be a trustee of our local charity and we had accessible wheelchair scales. We also had scales with  a hoisted  seat which weighed you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.