Using Slimming world or Weight Watchers as a wheelchair user — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Using Slimming world or Weight Watchers as a wheelchair user

Garza
Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
I am trying to lose weight and have been for many years, I wondered if there were any wheelchair users here who use either of the above groups? 

I have contacted them both and neither have any wheel on scales nationally which I think in this day and age is far from inclusive, especially for such a large and lucrative industry

My questions are 

Do you use the group and just not get weighed? 

Do you not use the group because you cant get weighed ? 

and finally 

if such a group existed which was inclusive would you attend? 

thanks for you  anticipated input

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We are not members of any SW or WW group. I am naturally slim and my son and daughter are too little to be allowed to attend meetings I think. Possibly. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm a community champion here on scope and i've been a member of Slimming World since 2016. Part of the reason for joining is that you weigh each week, so joining and not weighing isn't something i'd advise doing.

May i ask if you're able to stand at all? If you can then weighing just take a few seconds and then it's done.

I'm sorry but i've never been a member of weight watchers so can't advise on that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    HI,

I'm a community champion here on scope and i've been a member of Slimming World since 2016. Part of the reason for joining is that you weigh each week, so joining and not weighing isn't something i'd advise doing.

May i ask if you're able to stand at all? If you can then weighing just take a few seconds and then it's done.

I'm sorry but i've never been a member of weight watchers so can't advise on that.
    thanks for the reply, I am a paraplegic and a full time wheelchair user
  • Chloebird
    Chloebird Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I think in this day and age they don't have ramped scales for wheelchairs. 
    It's so unfair and some would say its discrimination. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @chloebird :) It this something you've experienced yourself? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Are there any local disability charities where you live? I used to be a trustee of our local charity and we had accessible wheelchair scales. We also had scales with  a hoisted  seat which weighed you.

Brightness