Anyone received SDP compensation yet? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Anyone received SDP compensation yet?

cokeen Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited November 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Has anybody recieved compensation from sdp yet because of change of circumstantes to uc? I lost mine in march 2019 and dwp will not tell me nothing


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @cokeen   Pleased to meet you.
    Thank you for joining.
    I am one of the team of community champions. Please I am going to suggest you may need to speak  one of our team.  Have tagged the lady, be in touch soon to answer your question. 
    My friend and community champion. @poppy123456 who has knowledge, expertise of benefits.
    I hope that helps.
    You could also contact CAB  for advice or speak to a welfare charity.
    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,699 Disability Gamechanger
    @thespiceman thank you my friend, for the tag.

    @cokeen hi and welcome,

    More information is needed to be able to help you further. What was the reason you claimed UC in March because the rules changed in January 2019 that prevented those that were claiming SDP from claiming UC, providing you were in receipt of SDP within 1 month of a change of circumstances happening.

    What was the change of circumstances?
  • Ails
    Ails Member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cokeen and welcome to the Community.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • cokeen
    cokeen Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I moved area and was told i had to move to u.c as it was full u.c area, which i did to be told by sdp and esa that u.c should of sent me straight back to esa, after 5 weeks of arguing this with u.c who told me everyone was wrong, then after 5 weeks waiting for a payment on u.c they decided i should of gone back but was to late now, anyway i lost sdp since march, gor behind with rent had baliffs at my door, but sdp and u.c will not tell me anything at all
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,699 Disability Gamechanger
    You should have just claimed for housing benefit with your new local council and a change of address with all other benefits.

    Since you've moved house are your circumstances still the same? Do you still claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care and do you still live alone or classed as living alone and does anyone claim carers allowance or the carers element of UC for looking after you?
  • cokeen
    cokeen Member Posts: 4 Listener
    No circumstances have changed, nobody gets carers, i live alone and get enhanced mobility on pip and daily living, i should of been told to go back to esa by u.c but they refused and nobody told me about carry on with housing benefit, i was told cancel everything you get and claim u.c, that was it, dont understand any of it
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,699 Disability Gamechanger
    That's disgusting and i'm sorry that happened to you! You shouldn't have been allowed to claim UC as they knew you were claiming SDP. Had you claimed Housing benefit then your claim would have been accepted because of the change that happened in January 2019.

    Have a look at this link here, there's telephone number you can ring for a DWP specialists team that maybe able to help you reclaim the old legacy benefits. If you can't go back onto them then they will help you receive what's owed to you, even though it's still slightly less money that what you would have been claiming with SDP, it's better than nothing.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.