Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Lcwra payments

diane1981diane1981 Member Posts: 51 Courageous
I have been awarded lcwra. I thought ur payment was the 4th month from ur first sick line. However uc have just told me its 3 months from ur award date.  Can anyone who has this payment confirm when u actually get it. Is it the 4th month after u hand in ur 1st sick line or the 4th month after they place u in the lcwra group

Replies

• diane1981diane1981 Member Posts: 51 Courageous
    I started claiming uc in July after being removed from the esa support group. I immediately provided sick lines from gp and had help from money matters in filling out the UC50 form. My gp was contacted and she gave details of my conditions. I did not attend an assessment to be honest I'm glad I didn't as I find them awful. I have been notified I have been placed in the lwcra group, does that mean I get extra money or I just don't need to look for work
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Great news. You'll receive the extra £336 per month from the 4th full assessment period from when you sent your first fit note. This is because there's a 3 month waiting period and UC is paid in arrears.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Thank u I understand that part I just wondered about the payment as I was told that u can be placed in the lwcra group but not receive extra money. Thought this was strange that they decide to place u in a group but contradict that by saying u get no extra benefit 
    You misunderstood that. If you were placed into the LCW group then you wouldn't have received any extra money because your claim started after April 2017. As you were placed into the LCWRA group then those rules don't apply to you.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Ahh OK thank u 
    I've contacted the uc on my journal about payments to be told I wouldn't receive any payments til after the first 3 month assessment period.  Do they mean 3 months from now?  I was handing in sick lines since July 2019 filled out UC50 form in end of Sept. I thought my payment should start oct/Nov when this is the 4th month 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

Scope community team

Hi @diane1981. It's worth querying this with them, I have seen it miscalculated a number of times and Case Managers thinking the 3 months wait starts after a decision etc, and not when you first hand in your fit note. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    Bad days when even they Dont know how there own system works. Im awaiting word back. But am i right in thinking its the 4th month from handing in sick lines and not 4 months from being put in a group 

Scope community team

Yes, you're correct @diane1981.
    Do you know the date you handed in your first fit note and what your assessment periods are? 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    I'm sure my first would be about 7th July and I've had 4 payments so far. I think the date the the 7th and payment is 11th
    They've just said it's 3 months from now before I will receive payment
    That's definitely not correct! May i ask who told you this?

It's 3 months from the date you first supplied evidence/sent in your first fit note. See link and scroll down to waiting period.

Hi,

Adrian and myself have been advising you on your other thread here https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/66347/lwcra#latest

Starting another thread with the same question only causes confusion, please try to stick to the same thread. I just answered your last question on there.

Scope community team

edited November 2019
    Hi @diane1981. It sounds like they're incorrectly applying the wait period. It's 3 full assessment periods from the first fit note you supplied.
    Without seeing your actual assessment dates it's difficult to say for sure but if your payment date is the 11th, it's likely your assessment period is 5th-4th. If you handed your fit note in on the 7th, the first month may not count (unless you reported your health condition from the start and can argue self-reporting as opposed to fit note, but we'll assume it doesn't to give you the worst-case scenario). 
    5th July to 4th August - Won't count 
    5th August to 4th September - Month 1
    5th September to 4th October - Month 2
    6th October to 4th November - Month 3
    5th November to 4th December - LCWRA Payment (11th December).
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Thank u glad I get more sense on here than from UC themselves. It was someone int he contact centre that answers ur questions on ur journal. 
    They have been very poorly trained for UC and because of this their advice should never be believed.

I also see from a previous thread that you were found fit for work for a previous work capability assessment when you were claiming ESA, did you request the MR then Tribunal on that decision?
    Yes I was on esa got no luck as gp at the time wouldn't give supporting evidence as they found it unhelpful in previous cases. I was took off esa and placed on uc in which another gp supplied sick line straight away and also gave me support in the work assessment which went in my favour and was awarded lcwra
    Please answer my question, did you request the mandatory reconsideration and if that failed did you then request the Tribunal for that decision?
    No I didn't request a Mr as I was told if I did that I wouldn't get any money til a decision was made and that I was to claim uc.  The last time I waited 6 months on a decision from the Mr so couldn't take the risk of it being that long with no money. So I claimed the uc straight away
    You could have still requested the MR/Tribunal and claimed UC. This way if the decision changed and you were given Support Group (LCWRA) then you would have been owed backdated money.

You are still within the time the request the MR on that ESA decision because with good reason you have 13 months to request it.
    I'd be scared to do that then end up loosing my lcwra aswell.  Looks like u won't be receiving any extra payment of the lcwra till april
    You won't lose the LCWRA element you already have because you'll be appealing the ESA decision.

The advice you've been given that you won't receive the LCWRA until April is NOT correct, as advised previously by Adrian and myself, it's 4 full assessment periods from when you sent your first fit note.
    edited November 2019
    Hi @diane1981. It sounds like they're incorrectly applying the wait period. It's 3 full assessment periods from the first fit note you supplied.
    Without seeing your actual assessment dates it's difficult to say for sure but if your payment date is the 11th, it's likely your assessment period is 5th-4th. If you handed your fit note in on the 7th, the first month may not count (unless you reported your health condition from the start and can argue self-reporting as opposed to fit note, but we'll assume it doesn't to give you the worst-case scenario). 
    5th July to 4th August - Won't count 
    5th August to 4th September - Month 1
    5th September to 4th October - Month 2
    6th October to 4th November - Month 3
    5th November to 4th December - LCWRA Payment (11th December).
    @diane1981 Adrian has advised you here but like he said it will depend on when your assessment period is and when you sent your first fit note.

Did you also read this link i posted above? If not then please read it. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal_Credit_Work_Capability_Assessment

edited November 2019
    Yes I did thanks, and it makes sense unlike uc advice.  I'll just have to wait and see if I get a payment in 11th December. I thought I might have received my 1st payment before then.  To be honest I'm actually strangely better off in the uc with the child element and lcwra element than what I was on esa and can't handle all the appeal stuff no more. I went through  the pip appeal process and it's really took its toll so for my own mental and physical health I simply can't go through anymore appeals. 

Scope community team

edited November 2019
    Hi @diane1981. Unfortunately it isn't done automatically by computer, a Case Manager would have to manually apply this to your claim and if your Case Manager has misinterpreted the guidance it won't be added to your claim when it should be. 
    Universal Credit Regulation 28 makes it very clear this should apply from your fit note, not the decision. However, unless you challenge your Case Manager on this, it's going to be incorrectly applied. 
    It might be worth you replying to say you've sought advice and been told that Regulation 28 should apply. 
    For reference, Reg 28 basically says: 
    ”The relevant period is the period of three months beginning with–...the first day on which the claimant provides evidence of their having limited capability for work in accordance with the Medical Evidence Regulations."
    It's not the easiest to follow, but the Universal Credit ADM says this:
    The relevant period is three months beginning
     1. in relevant threshold cases (where the claimant has weekly earnings at or above the relevant threshold and is entitled to DLA or PIP), on
         1.1 the first day of the award of UC or
         1.2 if later, the date on which the claimant applies for the LCWRA element to be included in the award or
    2. in any other case, on the first day on which the claimant provides medical evidence of LCW .
    Note 2: Medical evidence includes a self-certificate for the first seven days of LCW. 
    Example 1:
    Dom is entitled to UC. His assessment period begins on the 5th of every month. Dom contacts the Department on 17.11.15 to say that he is unwell due to mental health problems. He sends in a doctor’s statement signed on 2.12.15 which states that Dom is not fit for work due to anxiety and depression. Dom is referred for assessment, and is found to have LCWRA. The relevant period begins on 17.11.15, the date he first gave evidence of LCW, and ends on 16.2.16. The LCWRA element is included in Dom’s UC award from 5.3.16. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

I gave a sick  line from when I started my uc claim round about the 5-7th July 2019 my wca was returned by the end of Sept 2019.
    I replied sayin about reg 28 and that I think it should start on the 1st day of providing sick line and not from the award date. There reply was that the relevant period applies as this is the 1st instance of lcwra. I don't understand that! When I have been providing sick lines since I 1st applied for uc.  It doesn't make sense I have been awarded lcwra however I now have to wait a further 3 months without payments and receive my 1st payment of the lcwra element on my 4th month after the award was granted. 

Scope community team

It sounds as though they're not understanding the 'relevant period' @diane1981. I'm sorry you're having to fight them on this. 
    You need to explain that you agree, the 'relevant period' applies here, but that they are incorrectly applying it. The relevant period begins from the date of the first fit note NOT from when they make their decision. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Scope community team

He's not even answering your question there is he @diane1981? And unfortunately his answer is incorrect there too. They can choose to reassess you any time after 3 months. 

I'd strongly advise you to call and speak to someone if possible. As Alan is your Case Manager it's always going to be him responding to your messages and he doesn't seem to understand the process or even what your query is.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

I agree with Adrian, you need to ring to speak to your case manager because if you don't you're going to keep going round in circles. The person who's answering those messages clearly doesn't have a clue what they are talking about here because their advice and knowledge is terrible.
    I've been in the job centre asking there advice and 2 of them were struggling to find an answer. A 3rd person came up with " they take ur 13 weeks from the date they find u infot for work akd not the 13 weeks of sick lines ur doctor has been providing"  even then there maths r shocking as my 3 months would be February and not april
     Thank so much for ur advice both of u 
    *Wee update on this farce *
    Spoke to someone who said it was the decision makers discretion to defer my payment for 4 months and add it on at the end of my 12 months. So basically I won't receive a payment til April which is for 12 months and then there giving me an extra 4 months after that before they reasse me.
    Basically they do what the hell they want regardless of what it states on there government website. 
  • SarahUCESarahUCE Member Posts: 20 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
    @diane1981 your Case Manager (and who ever else you spoke to at the job centre and by phone) need retraining.
    A CM can’t make the decision to defer your payment and when it gets to the end of your claim they can’t approve you getting paid an extra 4 months for it. They can’t ignore legislation.
    Please don’t let this matter lie, you are losing out on hundreds of pounds if you let them wait until April. 
    This is the legislation from the official decision maker guide. It clearly states it’s fr your first fit note, not date of decision. 
    If you were one of my clients I’d advise you to message back something along the lines of:
    Dear Case Manager
    I’m sorry to ask again but I have sought advice and believe you may have misinterpreted the guidelines. The ADM regarding the Relevant Period is clear that the 3 month wait is from first Fit Note and not date of decision. For you’re reference this is F5030 of the ADM.
    Please can this be applied correctly to my claim?
    Thank u very much for this info, I'm so angry right now. When I spoke to the call centre in Glasgow I was told it was the decision maker who has deferred my payment for the 4 months and added it on at the end of the 12 months. She had never heard of this being done nor did she understand why this has been done.  There tryin to make out there doing me a favour of instead of being reassessed in Oct 2020 it will be Feb 2021 because of the 4 months deferred.  4 months from my award date is actually 21st of Feb, so my 1st payment would be in March so there calculations r still wrong.
    It actually really worry me that these people have these jobs and r mako g these decisions on people's life's 
    diane1981 said:
    Thank u very much for this info, I'm so angry right now. When I spoke to the call centre in Glasgow I was told it was the decision maker who has deferred my payment for the 4 months and added it on at the end of the 12 months. She had never heard of this being done nor did she understand why this has been done.  There tryin to make out there doing me a favour of instead of being reassessed in Oct 2020 it will be Feb 2021 because of the 4 months deferred.  4 months from my award date is actually 21st of Feb, so my 1st payment would be in March so there calculations r still wrong.
    It actually really worry me that these people have these jobs and r mako g these decisions on people's life's 
    That really makes no sense at all and i've never heard of payments being deferred ever. For the work capability assessments the timescales they give you are just a guide and nothing more, it doesn't mean you'll be re-assessed at that time because you can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months.

As i previously advised, i wouldn't put anymore messages on your journal regarding this, i would ring and speak to your case manager. Going to your Job centre really isn't going to help either.

I hope you get it sorted because i've never heard of such nonsense.
    The info about the deferred payment etc was from the call centre where the cm works.  Im at a loss on where to go now as I get no sense from the cm or the call centre.  The info I have posted on here is what there telling me. The job centre were as baffled about it as me and u.  The call centre say its been the decision maker who has decided this deferred payment for 4 months
  • SarahUCESarahUCE Member Posts: 20 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
    @poppy123456 she has said the call centre told her the same thing, so her best route would be to put a message like the one I’ve typed above, then when it’s declined, ask for it to be sent to a decision maker.
    @diane1981 I agree with the other advice you’ve been given here.
    This nonsense of payment deferral extending your claim for LCWRA is not true, please don’t listen to whoever told you that. They can choose to reassess you at any time. You’ve sadly been speaking to really poorly trained UC staff. 
    @diane1981 please take @SarahUCE advice and put this note on your journal.

Dear Case Manager

I’m sorry to ask again but I have sought advice and believe you may have misinterpreted the guidelines. The ADM regarding the Relevant Period is clear that’s the 3 month wait is from first Fit Note and not date of decision. For you’re reference this is F5030 of the ADM.

Please can this be applied correctly to my claim?

I've got Money matters and welfare rights on the case with this. There also saying I should have appealed (Mr) with the esa decision back in july. I'm just wondering would I be worst off back on esa. I was getting £127 per week on support group. But with uc and lcwra it's £317 plus £336 per month.  I'm assuming u don't lcwra on top of esa
    I'm glad you're getting some help with this.

Regarding the ESA decision back in July. Even if you did appeal that decision and won, you won't ever be able to go back onto ESA because you claimed UC. What would happen if you did win at MR or Tribunal stage is that because it would haven't meant you had LCWRA when you started your UC claim then you will be owed money from the start of your claim, rather than having to wait 3 months for it to start. Definitely worth requesting the MR.Tribunal for that decision because you have nothing to lose by doing so.

So would I get my esa payment and uc basic amount together. I confused 
    No, not if your ESA was all Income related because you claimed UC and you can't be paid both. If part of your ESA was Contributions based then you'll receive that but it will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments.

The only advantage to appealing the ESA decision will be they will owe you backdated money because the 3 month waiting period won't apply to you.
    This is where its really confusing. I was getting income based esa at £127 per week. But on universal credit I get £317 plus £336 per month so roughly 150 per month better off. I can't work out how much they would deduct of my esa off my uc so what my new payments would be
    When working out the figures for Income related ESA as monthly payment, it's £550 per month. £127 x 52 = £6,604 divided by 12 = £550.

UC standard allowance over 25's and LCWRA is £653 per month. This means that claiming LCWRA under UC you're £103 per month better off.

If all of your ESA was income related then you won't be entitled to any ESA even if your appeal was successful because you already claimed UC and you can never go back.

If part of your ESA claim was Contributions based then you will go back onto that at £111.65 per week. You will then receive a deduction of £483 per month from your UC amount because CB ESA is £111.65 per week x 52 divided by 12 = £483 as a monthly payment.

ESA will pay you £111.65 per week and you would receive £170 per month UC. Hope this helps.
    Thanx that helps. I was getting full income related esa as it was £127 per week.  So even if my Mr was successful and I can't go back onto esa would the shortfall from July be backdated and I now go onto the uc and lcwra payments
    You're welcome.

You won't be able to go back onto ESA even if your the MR.Tribunal was successful. You would be entitled to the LCWRA from the start of your UC claim, rather than having to wait 3 months like you are now. This will be because DWP's decision to find you fit for work was incorrect.

If you do decide to request the MR then i'd definitely mention that you're now claiming LCWRA for UC after being found fit for work for ESA in July, providing your conditions haven't  changed since the decision was made on your ESA work capability assessment then this may go in your favour.
    I sent the note u gave me about reg 28 f5030. I copied and paste exactly what u wrote and his reply was if I feel my date were I've to raise a mr 
    He's as much use as a chocolate teapot ! 
    disgusting! I'm sorry that you're having to deal with all this!

Scope community team

That's ridiculous @diane1981! Have you spoken to Welfare Rights any more about this?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

** update **
    Welfare rights got the equality team within the job centre involved who called the case manager only to believe he got a telling off and explained the rules of uc in which my payment was in the bank within an hour. However would u believe they have gave me an overpayment of £1000, they have paid me since July the start of my claim and not November which would be after the 3 month assessment period. I asked the the cm to explain this as I believe its a mistake and an overpayment to be told no it's not a mistake. 
    I'm glad they finally seen they were wrong. regarding the overpayment of £1000, did you request the MR on your work capability assessment decision for ESA? If you did then they may have changed that decision, if they have then as advised previously you will be paid LCWRA from the start of your UC claim because there will be no waiting period because you would have already had LCWRA at that time.

Scope community team

Hi @diane1981.
    That's excellent news, I'm glad they've finally resolved this. Thank you for updating us, it gives hope to the others having the same fight for the correct backdating. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Poppy, I didn't put in a mr.  Welfare rights said if it didn't do in my favour they could then question the lcwra award which I wasn't willing to take the chance on.  I wondered if they have done it that way regardless of no Mr.  When I said I didn't think the payment was correct I was told to refer to the letter in which it states the underpayment was backdated to July which means I don't have the 3 month assessment period. I'm thinking of putting the money by as knowing my luck 6 months later I'm gonna get a letter saying I owe them it back
    Very strange. If it does become an overpayment they won't ask for it back as one lump sum, it will be taken monthly from future UK payments.
    That's what I don't want to happen, I'd rather have it sorted now
    Surprise surprise we have an overpayment letter to download. That case manager needs fired. He hasn't gave me 1 correct bit of advice yet

Scope community team

That's appalling. I'm so sorry @diane1981. It sounds like your case manager definitely needs training!
    They can take it back from your payments in instalments or you can call the debt recovery department and pay it in one go if you'd prefer. 
    I'm sorry they keep messing this up for you.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

I had a feeling that may happen. I agree, he needs training!
Sign in or join us to comment.