Dismayed by PIP decision — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dismayed by PIP decision

Mandy1971
Mandy1971 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I am new to this community. 
Yesterday, I was dismayed to receive a decision from DWP regarding my PIP application for Fibromyalgia, IBS, Depression and Anxiety. 
I have been turned down having not scored a single point!
The decision in writing contradicted my answers to the point of blatant lies. 
I have decided to go down the mandatory decision route. 
Any advice, anyone?
Best Wishes all. 
Mandy 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Mandy1971   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining.
    I am one of the team of community champions. We advise and help members of our community.
    Please can I suggest consider speaking to mental health charities .
    I have mental health issues my self.
    I used these ones can help with benefit problems and welfare and you mental health looking at assessments, benefits and anything else you are struggling with, including disabilities will be helpful and supportive.
    https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.
    https://www.mind.org.uk.
    https://www.rethink org.
    Last one is an advocate charity. Will represent you on your behalf with problems with medical professionals or NHS mental health services.
    You could also ask CAB to help you or an welfare organisation.
    Please have a look at our website for further information.
    Please if I can help please ask. Please keep safe and warm, Please take care.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR, which you should put in writing. You should avoid mentioning any lies that may have been told in the report because DWP/Tribunal won't be interested in any of those.

You should state where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Do be aware that PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Having some knowledge and understanding of the descriptors and why they mean will also help. This link will help with that and i'd advise you to have a read.

Any relevant evidence should be sent with the form to support your claim. They rarely contact anyone for this.

Most MR decision's remain the same so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. The only downside is the waiting times are huge in most areas and lots are waiting a year for a hearing date.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm really sorry to read this @mandy1971. You've been given some great advice above about appealing the decision. If there's anything you don't understand or would like some more information on, please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.