If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

I need help.

Rosey44 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
I will try not to make this message to long. My adult son is housebound with pots syndrome, and has been for 4 years, I sent esa 50 off in June 19 as I did the year before, it never got there and my sons money was stopped. He called esa up and they said they would send another esa 50 out which my son never got. Roll on November he called esa again and they sent esa 50 which my son received but they had told him his claim has now closed and that there was no guarantee he would get the money he has lost back, it’s up to the decision maker. So he’s been left no option to claim universal credit. An appointment has been made for Monday which he has to go to a job centre, he hasn’t been out of the house since May which was for an emergency dentist appointment and he got a taxi to the door and returned home in a taxi. He’s been living off his savings and 8 weeks ago they have run out. He is concerned about going to a job centre as he hasn’t been out for so long. He will be getting a fit note Monday. 

Also he recently had a pip home assessment and got the results on 10th December he’s not entitled to any of it, which I find very heartbreaking, I know that you can do a mandatory reconsideration, it’s terribly hard as a mother to see your grown up son in this condition and that he showing much signs of anxiety and mild depression thanks to dwp. He has had no income almost 6 months. I have called numerous numbers and not got much information back. I’m disabled myself providing for 2 adults. I now know that all documents need to be sent registered, but as I have said earlier last years esa 50 got there no issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 


  • Rooprs
    Rooprs Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    I'm not sure what to say, exactly, but I feel he needs to engage with services such as his GP because their opinions seem to be the only thing the DWP respect. I only got my PIP mobility because the GP agreed with me about my terrible mobility, and without that I wouldn't have my mobility scooter! Other professional services can also help such as psychology services, but he definitely needs the GP, perhaps via house call if your son can't go out, and they can sort out referrals to other services. 

    I don't know if this helps, but i hope so! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,196 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    Just so that you're aware, letters to DWP do not need to be sent by registered/sign for post, proof of posting is all you need and this is free from the post office.

    May i ask if he requested the MR for the ESA decision? It seems like he was found fit for work for failing to return the form. The only way he will receive any backdated money is to request the MR and if that fails Tribunal and it will be based on failing to return the form within the timescale given. Has he received any help and advice regarding that?

    For the UC claim, he can request a home appointment to verify his identity, for this he'll need to ring UC. Do be aware also that a fit note doesn't automatically qualify him for limited capability for work. What will be expected of him will depend on his claimant commitments, but this may include attending his local job centre for appointments. Some work coaches will reduce work commitments but not everyone will turn them off completely. UC payments are monthly and the first payment is 5 weeks after your claim starts.

    For his PIP, again he needs to request the MR within 1 month of the date of the decision. He needs to put this in writing stating where he thinks he should have scored those points and his reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applied to him.

    Letters of evidence from a GP aren't the best to send because a GP very rarely knows exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.

    If he can get some face to face advice for all of this from an agency near him then i'd advise him to do that because there's an awful lots going on here.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,379 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Rosey44    Pleased to meet you.

    I am one of the community champions of the forum.

    Please may I suggest the following organisations that may help your son.

    Mental health charities 

    Anxiety and depression your son has




    All charities have floating support, well being health and benefit advice.  Including problems with benefits and situations like this.

    Take clientele with other disabilities and as well mental health.

    Yu can self refer ask your Doctor.

    Might not be in all areas.

    If not speak to your GP who has a range of service might be local Mental health charity in your areas. The best way to deal with your sons issues that do need addressing.

    I used all three. The last one is advocate charity useful representing your son any mental health issues with Doctors or medical professionals.



    Organisation charity for POTS has a wealth of advice, support.

    Money problems and debt.




    Additional welfare advice and support.




    Please hope that helps gives some reassurance many of those organisations offer a variety of support, information and welfare.

    Please if I can be of any assistance further please get in touch, we are compassionate and have empathy.

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,581 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rosey44 and a very warm welcome to the community, is there anything else we can do to help?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.