Carer to severely disabled daughter and Grandaughter for 9 yrs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer to severely disabled daughter and Grandaughter for 9 yrs

melissarose
melissarose Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello All!
Have been a Carer to severely disabled daughter and Grandaughter for 9 yrs. Looking forward to gaining insights and tips, possibly sharing some of mine! Nice to have some chat with people that walk in my shoes?!

Comments

• Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering

Hello @melissarose       

My Name is Connie00

I am one off the community Champion’s here at Scope.  it’s really nice to meet you.

A very warm welcome to the Community. I trust you are having a good day today

I have walked in your shoes as I cared for my Nephew for years before getting very poorly myself. My Nephew had severe Learning Difficulties and is very disabled.

I myself suffer with Asthma Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, CFS and FND, (functional neurological disorder) and a lung disorder which completely fails me when I have an asthma attack. 

So I'm the carer who needs a carer now, My son gave up work to care for Paul also he cares for me, so I know what goes on how lost you may feel sometimes that there is no end to it all. these adults will never get better they are your children that need you all the time. so you having to people with disabilities is very time consuming, 

my advice to you is to get all the help you can from support from local authorities, clubs to schools to day centres, you do need to take some time for yourself. its very difficult I know but we are always hear to help you, you have not mentioned in what ways your daughter and grand daughter are disabled, I have added a couple of links that might interest you, but have a look around our forum and join in with any discussions. 

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/carers-of-disabled-children-and-adults

if we can be of any further help please let us know.

Have a good day

@connie00

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @melissarose - Welcome to this lovely community & thank you for joining us all. Most people here have various disorders & disabilities themselves, or have an affected relative, so we all have a bit of understanding from different perspectives, I suppose.
    I see Connie has already given you sound advice, as well as a warm welcome! It's possible if you say the problems your daughter & granddaughter respectively face, that you might meet others with something similar. Anyway, please have a look around, & if you have any questions, or need advice, please say.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    A warm welcome to the community @melissarose. How are you today?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A warm welcome to the community @melissarose. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.