Craft ideas — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Craft ideas

Options
Rifi7
Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
I’m looking for a hobby to occupy me but when I’ve looked online for kits, their pretty basic. I’m looking for something to challenge me. Any ideas?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What about patchwork? 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    Have you thought about cross stitch. It will keep your mind occupied. I used to do cross stitch all the time. I do lots of craft work now (when my body will allow me to) and have turned my hobby into a business.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,464 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Rifi7 what type of kits are you looking at?

Basic and starter kits can be a good introduction to a new hobby, by nature their simplicity means you will learn quickly if it is right for you before a large outlay. For some hobbies if you have no or little experience they can be a good introduction to the basic skills and as you develop you can introduce new tools and learn how to do more complicated things.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Rifi7, I think this is a really interesting topic! Since not being able to go out as much as I liked, I started to learn to crochet. This was all done with online tutorials and was something I picked up pretty quickly! Yet the complexity of it completely depends on what you would like to make. I am currently doing a very simple stitch for a blanket which means I can easily do it while watching TV or when my brain has turned to mush! But I like to do small projects that are more complicated which gives me something to properly focus on. :)
    Scope

• RainbowJo
    RainbowJo Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    knitting. 
    crochet. 
    diamond painting. 
    beading
    painting
    colouring

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,464 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A hobby I enjoyed for many years was embroidery. It is one of  those where taking the time to learn the basic stitches and techniques can open up a whole range of projects, my favourite projects were creating unique clothes for my daughter from items bought of the shelf. Something which can be done after learning just a few basic stitches. A simple guide to embroidery can be found at https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/stitches-every-embroiderer-should-know-4122123

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Colin123
    Colin123 Community member Posts: 134 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi
    I like pyrography , making pebble framed pictures with a verse, drawing with pencil . photography and gardening, I try to be positive, it is hard to get going , sometimes weeks Hope you don't mind all the pics so I can share my hobbiesd the inmimind 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Fantastic work @Colin123 :) I love the Peaky Blinders ones! Perhaps you'd like to check out our KaleidoScope thread for all things arts and crafts, if you haven't already? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.