Hi, my name is zendave888! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is zendave888!

zendave888
zendave888 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello! I have AVN and are wondering if anyone else is out there?

Comments

• Namaa_Alumni
    Namaa_Alumni Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    edited December 2019
    Hello @zendave888 and a very warm welcome to the online community. 

My name is Namaa and I work at Scope, and will be here for a week to support the online community. 

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with ???
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @zendave888! Do you mind telling us what AVN is? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • zendave888
    Hi everyone. AVN is avascular necrosis. It is basically parts of healthy bone die. Mine has effected my hips. So have had each hip joint totally replaced. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @zendave888 - Welcome to the community; it's great you joined us all. How are you since your total hip replacements? My friend had one done 3 years ago & hasn't looked back, so I hope you've made similar progress!
  • zendave888
    Thanks chiarieds. First replacement went well but unfortunately had complications with the second. As I’m 40 it’s been hard to accept that I can’t do everything I once could (martial arts). I live with chronic pain and know that I’ll most certainly need another set done eventually after these have worn out. I am thinking of applying for ESA as I’ve had to leave my job (security) due to ill health.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh, I'm sorry to read that. It must be frustrating having difficulty at such a young age, tho' I must admit I started to disintegrate disgracefully at your age (the result of a genetic disorder). I'd fractured my hip 5 months before my friend had his hip replacement, & he 'recovered' better than I, & we're the same age! Daily chronic pain is something I also live with, as well as many others here unfortunately.
    You might look at Personal Independence Payment if your mobility is affected & if you have difficulty with activities in daily life. There's some info here on Scope's website. See: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/benefits/personal-independence-payment/ If you would like more info on this, please say, & I'll send you further links.

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @zendave888 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear of your health struggles.  I had an hip replacement in 2015 so can relate to what life is like after that and I suffer some pain too.  You will find the forum to be a really supportive space with lots of lovely, friendly people on it.  Please feel free to chat to us anytime and have a look around the site at your leisure.  There are lots of interesting discussions going so if any interest you then please just join in.  I look forward to seeing you on here and hope you enjoy your time with us.  If there is anything we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Namaa_Scope and welcome to the Community.  It is great to have you on board!  I hope you enjoy your time with us and I look forward to seeing you on here.  Nice meeting you.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Namaa_Alumni
    Namaa_Alumni Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    edited December 2019
    Hello @Ails thank you so much, the community is fantastic. Sadly, I am only here till tomorrow, luckily it's Christmas soon and the new year shortly after. :) 

All the best to you too and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy 2020.  :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.