Trying to cope — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trying to cope

Options
Kimeva24
Kimeva24 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi
My name is Kym and i have been diagnosed with 2 slipped discs and 3 Herniated discs, disc Degenerative Disease, plus nerve damage in my legs, a shoulder that healed dislocated and mental health issues.
My GP has referred me to a pain management clinic and have heard nothing in 3 months,im really losing patience here.
In the states (where I was diagnosed) I went through physical therapy 4 times and 3 epidermal's before they put me on oxycodone 30 mg 4/day and morphine slow release 30 mg 2/day and THAT helped. 
When i saw the GP here they put me 6  30 mg lf codeine per day and refuse to give me anything stronger because they think I'm drug seeking, which is not true.
I know nothing will completely take the pain away but someone has to help me before I jump off a freaking bridge. I really cant take this level of pain anymore. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope. I'm sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing. I know exactly what that feels like as i have multiple pain conditions myself.

Unfortunately, waiting list for pain clinics are huge across most of the country and you could be waiting quite a lot longer yet i'm afraid.

Where i live, i was referred back to the pain clinic in April and only last week did i finally receive an appointment for 17th January. Yes you did read right that will be 9 months of waiting.

In the meantime have you tried doing other things to try to help with the pain? everyone experiences different levels of pain and what might work for 1 person, may not work for another, so it's trial an error i'm afraid. I find that a hot bath helps when my pain is at it's worse or even a hot shower. I suffer with pain through out the whole of my body but my legs are the most affected and heat definitely helps me.

It's not usual for a GP to refuse to give any stronger pain medication than you're already taking. I've been taking the same dose of morphine for quite a few years and my GP refused to increase it. This was prescribed for me by the pain clinic too when i first started taking it.

I really hope that you won't be waiting as long as i have but it's highly possible that you will be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    @Kimeva24 unfortunately the NHS is really stretched so I don't think 3 months wait for an appointment is unusual. I work in a hospital environment so see the reality every day. Our NHS is very different from the USA system so I don't think you can really compare them. Sorry to hear you are suffering, you could try and phone the pain clinic and find out their waiting times or let them know you are happy to come at short notice if they have any cancellations. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Kimeva24, I'm sorry to hear about the lack of support for your pain. Like Poppy has said, different things can work for different things. I use heat and a TENS machine, I know ice is beneficial for others.

I really hope you aren't having to wait too long for the clinic!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.