Mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Mental health

oliviabaxter98 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my name is Olivia Baxter and I'm 21 with 2 children and I suffer with severe depression and anxiety I also have panic attacks when walking round town ect due to of been in a domestic relationship in past and its affected me in the long run as I always freak out when my new partner comes near me just to hug me and the past year and a half that I've been out of that violent relationship I've been hearing voices and seeing things that aren't there and aren't real I've been put on sertraline 50mg and I'm wanting to be able to meet new people and make new friends as cause of my violent ex I've lost a lot of mates and I was wondering if anyone is going through all this as well and I was wanting some advice on how to control the voices in my head and how to control my panic attacks please thank you 


  • Cressida
    Cressida Member Posts: 976 Connected
    @oliviabaxter98 someone with more experience will respond I'm sure but I wonder if you have started another relationship a bit soon after the last one. Perhaps you should have spent some time on your own with your children and just taking care of yourself? Do you get an opportunity to meet people through childrens activities etc? You dont mention their ages but I'm assuming they are still quite young. Children are a great way of meeting others have you always have something to talk about.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,395 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    I'm one of the community champions here on scope. I'm going to tag my dearest friend @thespiceman who has amazing advice regarding mental health and i'm sure he will only be too happy to advise you further.

  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hi @oliviabaxter98 and a very warm welcome to the community, it's great to have you with us. It sounds like you've been through some really traumatic things. You mentioned being on antidepressants, are you receiving any other support at the moment? 

    How are you children doing? I wondered if you'd be comfortable saying how old they were.

    If you feel at risk then please call Samaritans (116 123) or you can use the crisis text service Shout (you can access this by texting SHOUT to 85258).

    SANEline (0300 304 7000) who are open from 4.30pm to 10.30pm every day of the year. I don't know if you have a smart phone, but there's also the Stay Alive app you can download.

    Here is some information from MIND about managing panic attacks:
    What helps to manage panic attacks?

    Panic attacks can be frightening, but there are things you can do to help yourself cope. It could help to keep print these tips out and keep them somewhere easy to find.
    During a panic attack:
    • Focus on your breathing. It can help to concentrate on breathing slowly in and out while counting to five.
    • Stamp on the spot. Some people find this helps control their breathing.
    • Focus on your senses. For example, taste mint-flavoured sweets or gum, or touch or cuddle something soft.
    • Try grounding techniques. Grounding techniques can help you feel more in control. They're especially useful if you experience dissociation during panic attacks. (See our page on self-care for dissociative disorders for more information on grounding techniques.)
    After a panic attack:
    • Think about self-care. It's important to pay attention to what your body needs after you've had a panic attack. For example, you might need to rest somewhere quietly, or eat or drink something.
    • Tell someone you trust. If you feel able to, it could help to let someone know you've had a panic attack. It could be particularly helpful to mention how they might notice if you're having another one, and how you'd like them to help you.
    (See our pages on self-care for anxiety and treatments for anxiety for more information on what could help.)

    Read Hannah's blog about how she's coped with panic attacks and social anxiety.
    Also, here is a list of resources which can help with domestic violence if you ever wanted support about the affects of this.

    If you feel that you or your children are in immediate danger then please do call 999 or go to your nearest A&E department.

    You're doing amazing Olivia and I hope the community will be a space you can get advice and guidance. :)

  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @oliviabaxter98    Thank you to my friend   @poppy123456  

    Pleased to meet you.

    Sorry to hear what you going through.

    One of our team had given you some excellent advice and guidence.

    I wanted to add a few more pieces of information relevent.

    The medications you are on , this one known as an anxiety medication.

    I am on this.

    The medication has side effects unfortunately.

    You need to read the leaflet that comes with the medication.

    Discuss any problems with your GP.

    Please if I can suggest speak to the following mental health charities.

    You get floating support, out reach worker. Any advice, guidance on any benefits or other issues. Help and support with assessments.

    Last charity is an advocate charity there  role is to represent you.

    Speak on your behalf.

    Problems with NHS services mental health or medical professionals.

    Might not be in all areas.

    Please ask any questions happy to be supportive.

    Have compassionate, empathy.

    Please I hope you take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.