My pip assessment report was full of lies what should I do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My pip assessment report was full of lies what should I do?

Options
FatTagz
FatTagz Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi so my name is callum I am 20 and from brighton,

id like to go into detail about my situation first so you get the full idea of my situation.

so a few years ago I was diagnosed with mild autism/aspergus I was told I could possibly entitled to pip but never got around to doing it but recently I decided I would try and claim pip so I listed all my illnesses so obviously I’d list my autism but I’ve also got severe depression and social/general anxiety which I was nearly sectioned for and I had a doctor come to see me for home visits at the hostel I currently live in as I’m also on the verge of being homeless as I’m in £5000-10000 worth of debt at fault of my own and partially other people as I’ve been told I’m easily led and can easily give in or be too nice to people but anyway my last condition is undiagnosed but mostly the reason why I applied for pip so if you know what vertigo/labrynthisis is basically I am dizzy 24/7 to the point I can’t go out I can’t sleep at all I can’t work I’ve been deemed unfit for work I’ve also got a pass which means I get free bus travel due to my illness and various other reasons.

But whereas most my illnesses both physical and mental can only be felt and understand by myself it’s hard for an assessor to fully understand my life and how I have to manage myself on a day to day basis which basically I don’t I probably leave the house once or twice a month because of this I have no social life I can’t work I have breakdowns and can go days weeks months without social interaction my personal hygiene deteriorates severely all round in every aspect of my life I’m struggling so much and that’s why I’m writing on here to get the advice or support from any other forum members all advice no matter how little is highly appreciated.

so now to get into my pip claim I went to my assessment it was delayed overall I waited nearly 6 hours including the assessment itself the guy who assessed me was really friendly and understanding but today I received my assessment report and it’s full of lies and made up things that never happened I scored 0 points on everything even though I literally can’t handle myself on a daily basis I can’t cook clean wash properly and I can’t go out on my own I can’t walk very far I can’t go on trains there’s a lot of stuff that I can’t do due to my illnesses and to be told there’s absolutely nothing wrong with me makes me feel physically sick because I couldn’t wish my life on anyone I really thought pip would help me and get me the financial support I need to help me live a semi normal life I live on benefits pretty much in a homeless hostel I don’t really talk to my family I have no friends no financial support even my local mental health services have turned me away 3-4 times so I’m unable to herb any medication or a therapist to help me explain how I feel I have no one to talk to I don’t sleep I have no idea what to do my social worker is doing her best but there’s only so much she can do and I’m losing hope completely my health is deteriorating quickly and I quite often think about the future and suicide and other deep dark thoughts.

I just hope someone can offer me some advice or support please in terms of how I can challenge my pip claim successfully thank you.

Comments

• DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    My assessment report was also full of lies and rubbish, I did a mandatory reconsideration and they just came back with an exact replica of the original decision letter, I was awarded standard care and standard mobility but that was a drop from standard care and higher rate DLA..I am appealing but don’t expect them to overturn the decision, it is what it is sadly...I was marked down on mobility because I drive...I have been told by others on here that I probably didn’t put enough evidence on my claim form but in all honesty the assessors will do everything they can to mark you down.

i’m sure somebody will come along soon to help you out.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

Your next step is to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this. You should put it in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Any relevant evidence you have should be sent with the letter to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Do be aware that PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

You say they didn't understand your conditions. Did you explain all the details in the form you filled in? If you don't put all the information then they won't understand it. It's your responsibility to put as much information as possible so that they have the full picture of how your conditions affect you.

Most MR decisions remain the same, so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. The only downside is that Tribunal waiting times are huge across most of the country and some are waiting as long as 1 year for a hearing date.

Having some understanding of the PIP descriptors always helps. It's very easy to score yourself X amount of points when it may not always be possible to score as many points as you think. Have a read of this link and it will hopefully give you some understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

Regarding your debt, have you spoke to step change? If you haven't then i'd advise you to contact them and they will give you all the advice you need regarding that. https://www.stepchange.org/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • FatTagz
    Options
    Like I just did in this post I gave them all the details about me even if it wasn’t entirely relevant I just wanted them to 100% have the full picture but I got the report back and it literally says there is nothing wrong with me and I can go about a normal day even thoguh the last time I’ve even left the house is when I went to the assessment and I’m not coping at all I don’t understand how these assessors can be so heartless and manipulative 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    One thing i forgot to add, when requesting the MR you should avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report because DWP/Tribunal won't be interested in any of those. They will only be interested in where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why.

You say you can't cook, what's the reason why you can't cook? Cleaning your house isn't part of the descriptors and you won't score any points for this.

You say you can't wash yourself properly, why are you unable to do this? You need to go through all of the descriptors and give details of why you can't do that activity. Would an aid help you? Do you need assistance or prompting? if so then why do you need this and what would happen if you didn't have that?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • FatTagz
    Options
    Basically like I said in the post I get vertigo type symptoms there not properly diagnosed but basically what it means is that im dizzy 24/7 I have bad balance I can’t walk more then 50-100 meters without feeling feint due to this so like with things like cooking with appliances is hard as well as showering as it makes me dizzy and lightheaded my social worker got me a bus pass to go anywhere in sussex as like I said I can’t really walk anywhere and cause I can’t socialize properly due to the other problems I have it goes hand in hand to make me even More isolated from the world my biggest fear applying for pip was them no recognizing my illness which has distressed me so much as I’ve had it nearly 10 years and it’s just getting worse and worse by the day and I’m worried for my future cause I’m deteriorating so bad and they say in the report I’m perfectly normal 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Please have a read of the link i posted above. I'd also advise you to get some face to face advice from an agency near you. Put your postcode into this link. https://advicelocal.uk/

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

“I gave them all the details about me even if it wasn’t entirely relevant I just wanted them to 100% have the full picture but I got the report back and it literally says there is nothing wrong with me”

@FatTagz - I also think that you need to concentrate on showing how you can/can’t carry out the activities that the PIP assessment considers. Tell them what help you need, even if you don’t get it.

Personally, and it is just my opinion, I’d avoid telling them your life story and keep it relevant which makes it easier for the assessor to read and pick out the evidence that will get you an award.

It’s very difficult when you’ve been knocked back - it happened to me - but I think that you’re best to leave it until after Christmas and the ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration. If the meantime is there anyone local to you who can support you through this?

It’s very clear from reading your post that you have numerous day to day difficulties. The PIP assessor isn’t saying there’s nothing wrong - clearly there is - but that on the evidence that you’ve given you don’t qualify for PIP.

Good luck - please do come back on here if you need further advice….

• poppy123456
    Options
    "I’d avoid telling them your life story and keep it relevant "

Totally agree with this. Giving them information that isn't relevant isn't going to help your claim. In the same way that sending evidence that isn't relevant will also not help a claim.

• FatTagz
    Options
    I gave in 3 pieces of evidence one being my autism diagnoses the other being about my neurology assessment due to my dizzy attacks and then I had one from my gp stating how I have been reclusive not been leaving my room/house and most likely needing psychiatric help and even at one point they wanted to section me as it had got so bad but my local mental health place has denied taking me on twice  
  • FatTagz
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Also I have am adult social worker who will be fighting my case strongly and bringing loads of new evidence but even she’s said it will most likely be going to tribunal cause then they can fully understand your condition 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @FatTagz - if I can give you another bit of advice?

Read through the different activities that are part of PIP...

Then read through what you have sent as 'evidence'.

Ask yourself 'which activity is this relevant to'?

If the answer is 'none' then leave it out (and put something else in if appropriate)

Remember - the person who knows how your condition affects you best is you - not doctors, nor social workers.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @FatTagz, I hope the advice given in this thread has been useful. But please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help in regards to your PIP.
    You mention that the situation is leading to you having dark thoughts and thinking of suicide. Have you tried any services such as Samaritans (116 123) or Shout (text SHOUT to 85258), CALM (0800 58 58 58) or essential support for under 25s through The Mix? It's fair to say as a pan-disability charity that our strengths lie more in the daily lives of disabled people, than complex mental health, but I'm going to email you as well with an offer to find you some support more local to you.

If you do of course ever feel like you might be in immediate danger, please call 999 or go to your local hospital. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • FatTagz
    Options
    Okay thank you that sounds great I appreciate everyone’s advice and help 
  • Hawklord
    Hawklord Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    How did this case get resolved?

I suffer from similar symptoms. I have had two DWP assessments and one pip. And now I have been asked to take another. All of which resulted in reports being full of lies or truth mentioned out of context. I have citizens advice helping me. I first declared being unwell in feb 2021. Had pip assessment in Nov 21. Still waiting for pip tribunal. DWP and I are just going around in circles it looks like I may have to attend two other tribunals sometime in the future.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,069 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @Hawklord sorry to hear you're struggling with the DWP, it's unfortunately a story we hear far too much here.

I'm not expecting you'll get a reply as this post was last commented on in 2019. But I can move your comment into a new thread if you'd like and hopefully people could offer some advice and support? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.