PIP Query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Query

Cloud
Cloud Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Hi,
I'm confused.
From what I have read on the forum, it suggests that PIP is more about explaining 'how your condition affects you day to day' rather than your actual condition and medical records.

So I'm confused as to why then, when PIP is refused and it is taken to tribunal, why is it then that they concentrate on 'your medical records' which they have to have/request?

As many on here say, medical records do not say 'how you can cook/dress' etc.  As medical records would not have observed how you cook, bathe etc.

Which one is correct, as it seems conflicting.

Thanks.
(sorry for being confused, it's probably just me,  I have degenerative brain condition)

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is all about how any medical condition impacts on your day to day care and or mobility needs and where possible should be backed up with medical evidence, a tribunal also looks at the same.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cloud
    Cloud Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Thank you @woodbine for explaining that.  Much appreciated
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Personally, when people talk about 'medical evidence', I've always thought that it was a good idea to decide what it is 'evidence' of exactly...

When I applied I tended to leave the diagnostic stuff out - eg I went to my GP with pain in my hip, she looked at X-rays/scan and said I'd got arthritis - unless it related to what I could/couldn't do...

I had a couple of hundred pages of stuff that was irrelevant (which I left out) and half a dozen pages of relevant stuff.

I do know that some people advise just sending all of your medical notes...I didn't personally because I wasn't convinced that anyone would read them all, particularly if there a lot of it...
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Cloud.
    You're right it is confusing, but @woodbine and @cristobal have explained it well here. PIP doesn't look at what condition you have, as such - in a way, it doesn't matter what the condition is, as long as your problems come from a disability. However, medical evidence that your condition does cause you to have the difficulties you've mentioned on the PIP2 & at the assessment is important. For example, medical evidence could be specific (confirming that it causes you particular difficulties with daily tasks/mobility), or it could be general (confirming that your particular condition is likely to cause these types of difficulty).

So Cristobal's point about not including medical evidence unless it actually backs up your problems with what you can't do, what you need help with etc is really relevant. I would point out though that medical evidence which shows you experience pain, fatigue, do things more slowly than other people or can't do things to the same standard might be relevant, as these factors can mean you should be treated as not being able to do some of the activities in the PIP test (because you can only do them with pain etc). 

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.