Pip, universal credit and carers allowence query — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Pip, universal credit and carers allowence query

Hi all, looking for advice or to see if anyone has been in the same situation. 

A few months ago I went over to universal credit from JSA as I became a carer for my grandson who has disabilities. Shortly after I signed off from JSA and started receiving carers allowence, I was informed that a tribunal had gone in my favour and awarded me my pip back that I had lost a year and half before. I was given a back payment from pip and back payment from JSA because of the disability premiums I should of received which includes the severe disability premium and I live alone. 

I have been advised I can still continue to claim carers allowence for my grandson as I can care for him and still have my own care needs. However I am unsure how this will affect the disability top up on universal credit. I have contacted them who have put through the request for the disability top up however I keep being told it's complicated as I was not receiving the severe disability premium beforehand but obviously a tribunal has ruled I was entitled to it and I am now in receipt of pip. It's been 3 payments now with no disability top up and I keep being told to wait and keep checking the journal. Has anyone else been in this position and could advise what steps to take next? Has anyone else had problems with the disability top up on universal credit?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,534 Disability Gamechanger

    The disability premiums do not exist with UC, therefore i'm assuming you mean the transitional support protection that's being paid to those that claimed UC when they shouldn't have, is that correct?

    If so then since you claimed UC have you always lived alone or been classed as living alone? Does anyone claim carers allowance or the carers element of UC for you since you've been awarded the PIP daily living?

    If they haven't then because the Tribunal decision was to award you the daily living part of PIP and the original decision was incorrect then there's no reason why you shouldn't be awarded that transitional support protection from the date you claimed UC.

    If you're claiming the LCWRA element of UC you should expect to receive an extra £120 per month. If you don't receive the LCWRA then you should expect to receive £280 per month. You should ring UC to speak to your case manager regarding this.
  • Jade9497
    Jade9497 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thanks for the reply, yes I mean the transitional support top up, I was informed that I would be entitled to it as a tribunal ruled in my favour so I was re awarded my claim from a year and half ago. I was told that if the tribunal had been a couple months earlier I would never have been allowed to go on universal credit because i would of had my premiums reinstated, being as I'm in receipt of carers allowence for my grandson I would have been allowed to go over to income support. No one claims carers allowence for me and I have always lived alone. I get standard daily care and enhanced mobility. I currently receive £512 in UC but £321 of that is my housing costs which isn't my full rent as I have one extra bedroom. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,534 Disability Gamechanger
    All you can do is keep ringing and put a note on your journal asking about the transitional support protection.

    Your UC amount at the moment is correct but the carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.