Hi, my name is Jackis! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jackis!

Options
Jackis
Jackis Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hi I'm Jackie I'm new here. I'm in a wheelchair with a 4 year old who also has need because of his prematurity. The carers are unreliable and we often have to stay in in our pyjamas. Thinking about getting a pa but unsure if I can afford it. Any ideas. 
Jackie 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jackis - Welcome to the community, Jackie. Thank you for joining & also sharing about the difficulties you're facing. There's some info on PAs here on Scope, which I hope may be helpful. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/adult-social-care/personal-assistants/
    There are also other members here who have PAs & may be able to better advise than I. I'm going to tag @pollyanna1052 to see if she may better help.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Jackie. Can I ask if you've had an OT assessment? We have some information about them here.
    I hope the information provided about PAs will be helpful, but can I ask if you have any support from family or friends?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i help and advise others.

May i ask how the carers are paid? Is it through direct payments with a personal budget?

My daughter has a PA and she's paid for through direct payments. I'd be happy to give further advice, if you would like me to but i'll need you to answer that question first.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jackis
    Jackis Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Options
    Hi my social worker sort out carers. I've had an ot assessment. Also my son is going to have one. Don't know who pays the carers. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Jackis - Welcome to the community, Jackie. Thank you for joining & also sharing about the difficulties you're facing. There's some info on PAs here on Scope, which I hope may be helpful. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/adult-social-care/personal-assistants/
    There are also other members here who have PAs & may be able to better advise than I. I'm going to tag @pollyanna1052 to see if she may better help.

Hi, I`ve had PAs/Carers paid for by Direct Payments for 8.5 years now.

Up until recently, I didn't have to contribute...but I do now.

I`ve had direct carers and agency carers. It`s better to have them direct but not always easy to cover holidays etc....It can be a problem that way.

Social services will do a care assessment.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jackis

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I am also one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got some info on PA’s on our site.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/hiring-pa-for-home-care/

I do hope that this information is helpful for you please please let me know if you have any problems???

@steve51

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.