Hi, my name is Jackis! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jackis!

Options
Jackis
Jackis Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hi I'm Jackie I'm new here. I'm in a wheelchair with a 4 year old who also has need because of his prematurity. The carers are unreliable and we often have to stay in in our pyjamas. Thinking about getting a pa but unsure if I can afford it. Any ideas. 
Jackie 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jackis - Welcome to the community, Jackie. Thank you for joining & also sharing about the difficulties you're facing. There's some info on PAs here on Scope, which I hope may be helpful. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/adult-social-care/personal-assistants/
    There are also other members here who have PAs & may be able to better advise than I. I'm going to tag @pollyanna1052 to see if she may better help.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Jackie. Can I ask if you've had an OT assessment? We have some information about them here.
    I hope the information provided about PAs will be helpful, but can I ask if you have any support from family or friends?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i help and advise others.

May i ask how the carers are paid? Is it through direct payments with a personal budget?

My daughter has a PA and she's paid for through direct payments. I'd be happy to give further advice, if you would like me to but i'll need you to answer that question first.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jackis
    Jackis Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Options
    Hi my social worker sort out carers. I've had an ot assessment. Also my son is going to have one. Don't know who pays the carers. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Jackis - Welcome to the community, Jackie. Thank you for joining & also sharing about the difficulties you're facing. There's some info on PAs here on Scope, which I hope may be helpful. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/adult-social-care/personal-assistants/
    There are also other members here who have PAs & may be able to better advise than I. I'm going to tag @pollyanna1052 to see if she may better help.

Hi, I`ve had PAs/Carers paid for by Direct Payments for 8.5 years now.

Up until recently, I didn't have to contribute...but I do now.

I`ve had direct carers and agency carers. It`s better to have them direct but not always easy to cover holidays etc....It can be a problem that way.

Social services will do a care assessment.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jackis

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I am also one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got some info on PA’s on our site.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/hiring-pa-for-home-care/

I do hope that this information is helpful for you please please let me know if you have any problems???

@steve51

Brightness