muscle spasms — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

muscle spasms

Options
deb74
deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
edited January 2020 in Coffee lounge
Just wondering what people do to ease muscle spasms. I am having really bad muscle spasms in my legs at the moment and they are very painful.

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @deb74 a warm welcome to the community. I’m sorry to hear of your pain. Perhaps you could speak to your GP about it? They may be able to help.
  • deb74
    Options
    hi @ emmarenshaw. I am going to see my dr in January. To talk about this and lots of other symptoms. I was asking about the spasms because I am suffering from severe spasms now which are making it hard for me to walk. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a way of easing the spasms
  • emmarenshaw
    Options
    Hi @deb74 That’s great that your seeing your GP soon. I was thinking they might be able to suggest medication, or gentle exercises to ease your spasms.  I used to suffer with spasms myself. I have a medicine pump now which keeps my muscles loose but, one thing that I found instantly relaxed my muscles was being in a bath or a warm heated pool. It really relaxed me.  Heat pads are good too or a hot water bottle. I hope this helps. 
  • annedh
    annedh Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    I guess the main thing to find out is why are you having the painful soasms. I have found magnesium helps me. I used to sprinkle some  magnesium salts in my bath but now I have found a spray from the health food store. It really helps and is easier than getting in a bath. Hapoy New Year.
  • deb74
    Options
    Thanks. The spasms did go eventually but my leg muscles tightened which was very painful and I had problems walking for a couple of hours. my right leg did ease up but my left leg is still quite stiff. As for the reason why it happens I am waiting for my dr to diagnose me with ms. The magnesium spray sounds good. I will see if my local healh food shop have some. I wouldn't be able to get in and out of a bath because I have arthritis in my hips and knees.
  • deb74
    Options
    Hi @emmarenshaw As for medication my doctor might not give me anything to treat the spasms l already take anti convulsants because I have epilepsy.
  • emmarenshaw
    Options
    @deb74 Hi Deb. I  really hope you can find a solution. Please keep us posted. Happy new year.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    With the gradual loss of mobility I have begun to experience abdominal muscle spasms if I move or twist too quickly or in the wrong way, Currently I have to stretch out the area concerned and usually thump the muscle back into place. This has worked fine except for one occasion when I suffered spasm after spasm in different places and trying to stretching would set off a different one each time. It has been suggested I use a relaxant, such as Diazepam, should this re-occur and I have a couple of old tablets which I can try if it does so. However, for a single occurrence my usual stretch and thump is the fastest way to handle things.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • deb74
    Options
    I have just bought some magnesium pills. I hope they work because they were expensive!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @deb74, I benefit from heat and hot baths. I too would recommend mentioning this to your GP.  
    Scope

• deb74
    Options
    HI Chloe_scope. I have written a long list of things to talk to the doctor about. Roll on 16th January when I see my doctor! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @deb74, I really hope it goes well!
    Scope

• deb74
    Options
    Hi chloe_Scope. Thanks I will let you know what the dr says
  • RedWhenHot
    RedWhenHot Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    Hi deb74,
    Oh, the hot bath and hot water bottle things sound good.
    I lost the sensation of heat and cold on my legs and hot baths are not so comforting for me any more.
    Strangely, I do find cold, damp flannels seem to have an effect for my legs, when I get spasms some nights. Bu that's probably just me.
    Another thing, and this may sound weird, is that I put on a 'thunderstorm' sleep noise, and just focus on it.
    Not sure if it actually helps, or if it just calms me.
    Anyhoo, hope you get it sorted :smile:
  • deb74
    Options
    Hi RedWhenHot. Thanks  for the advise. I do think the thunderstorm noise sounds a bit weird but if it works for you. The magnesium pills do seem to be working but that might be a coincidence as well as I don't always have spasms they seem to come and go.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.