muscle spasms — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

muscle spasms

deb74
deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
edited January 2020 in Coffee lounge
Just wondering what people do to ease muscle spasms. I am having really bad muscle spasms in my legs at the moment and they are very painful.

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @deb74 a warm welcome to the community. I’m sorry to hear of your pain. Perhaps you could speak to your GP about it? They may be able to help.
  • deb74
    hi @ emmarenshaw. I am going to see my dr in January. To talk about this and lots of other symptoms. I was asking about the spasms because I am suffering from severe spasms now which are making it hard for me to walk. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a way of easing the spasms
  • emmarenshaw
    Hi @deb74 That’s great that your seeing your GP soon. I was thinking they might be able to suggest medication, or gentle exercises to ease your spasms.  I used to suffer with spasms myself. I have a medicine pump now which keeps my muscles loose but, one thing that I found instantly relaxed my muscles was being in a bath or a warm heated pool. It really relaxed me.  Heat pads are good too or a hot water bottle. I hope this helps. 
  • annedh
    annedh Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    I guess the main thing to find out is why are you having the painful soasms. I have found magnesium helps me. I used to sprinkle some  magnesium salts in my bath but now I have found a spray from the health food store. It really helps and is easier than getting in a bath. Hapoy New Year.
  • deb74
    Thanks. The spasms did go eventually but my leg muscles tightened which was very painful and I had problems walking for a couple of hours. my right leg did ease up but my left leg is still quite stiff. As for the reason why it happens I am waiting for my dr to diagnose me with ms. The magnesium spray sounds good. I will see if my local healh food shop have some. I wouldn't be able to get in and out of a bath because I have arthritis in my hips and knees.
  • deb74
    Hi @emmarenshaw As for medication my doctor might not give me anything to treat the spasms l already take anti convulsants because I have epilepsy.
  • emmarenshaw
    @deb74 Hi Deb. I  really hope you can find a solution. Please keep us posted. Happy new year.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    With the gradual loss of mobility I have begun to experience abdominal muscle spasms if I move or twist too quickly or in the wrong way, Currently I have to stretch out the area concerned and usually thump the muscle back into place. This has worked fine except for one occasion when I suffered spasm after spasm in different places and trying to stretching would set off a different one each time. It has been suggested I use a relaxant, such as Diazepam, should this re-occur and I have a couple of old tablets which I can try if it does so. However, for a single occurrence my usual stretch and thump is the fastest way to handle things.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • deb74
    I have just bought some magnesium pills. I hope they work because they were expensive!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @deb74, I benefit from heat and hot baths. I too would recommend mentioning this to your GP.  
    Scope

• deb74
    HI Chloe_scope. I have written a long list of things to talk to the doctor about. Roll on 16th January when I see my doctor! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @deb74, I really hope it goes well!
    Scope

• deb74
    Hi chloe_Scope. Thanks I will let you know what the dr says
  • RedWhenHot
    RedWhenHot Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Hi deb74,
    Oh, the hot bath and hot water bottle things sound good.
    I lost the sensation of heat and cold on my legs and hot baths are not so comforting for me any more.
    Strangely, I do find cold, damp flannels seem to have an effect for my legs, when I get spasms some nights. Bu that's probably just me.
    Another thing, and this may sound weird, is that I put on a 'thunderstorm' sleep noise, and just focus on it.
    Not sure if it actually helps, or if it just calms me.
    Anyhoo, hope you get it sorted :smile:
  • deb74
    Hi RedWhenHot. Thanks  for the advise. I do think the thunderstorm noise sounds a bit weird but if it works for you. The magnesium pills do seem to be working but that might be a coincidence as well as I don't always have spasms they seem to come and go.

Brightness