Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Advice needed please!

cheriedawn Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My son is 16 just started college this time, he has always been very different to his siblings and at times very challenging,  throughout school years teachers have mentioned he may be autistic, I work in education and this has always been my thoughts too...but referrals to doctors, mind, cahms and educational psychologist have not helped as he refuses to speak to strangers. My son is struggling at college and doesnt like the new environment or new people, large classes high school he spent his days in the sen hub with the support team and wouldn't often go to class. When recently assessed by the sen team at college they told him he shows adhd traits, this troubled him a little and since this he is skipping classes even more. He has been on dla for 2 years but when he turned 16 he got declined for pip..I've had to give up a full time job to ensure I can drop him off at college otherwise he would not go at all. Do I need to get an official diagnosis for my son in order for him to get additional support at college? He says now that he feels he could speak to a doctor maybe about himself which is new. Is an official diagnosis worth it this far down the line? I feel like I've really let him down and I just want to access all the support I can for him...only came across this group by accident so hoping maybe someone can advise me what is best. Thank you. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,922 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

    No, he doesn't need an official diagnosis of anything to receive help from his college but it would certainly help in the future. I diagnosis doesn't change anything and it won't change the way he is.

    My daughter was diagnosed with ASD when she was 17. She started college when she was 16 and from there she was assessed for an Educational health care plan (EHCP), for this you should speak to his college.

    Her GP also referred her for an ASD assessment around the same time she started college. The waiting list was rather long but she was eventually assessed for this and she did indeed have ASD as well as a learning disability and social anxiety disorder.

    Having a diagnosis has definitely helped her get the help and support she needed. She now attends a special needs college for students with a EHCP. She receives a personal budget through direct payments which pays for a PA to help with things around the home and going out into the community. My local council also pay for a taxi to and from college because she's unable to go out alone. With a diagnosis, she wouldn't have received that help.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cheriedawn
    cheriedawn Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you poppy, I'm going contact the gp and see what he suggests! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,581 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cheriedawn and a warm welcome to the community! How are you getting on? Please do let us know if there's anything else we can do. :)

  • jotom2269
    jotom2269 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Hi there, I just posted on another thread with a very similar question. My son is 19 and since been young he has displayed many signs of being autistic. Until recently he’s been reluctant to seek help for a wide range of problems but I have finally managed to get him to agree half heartedly to me trying to get him some help but I don’t know where to start. I thought about the GP but he also has social anxiety and has not left the house for a year. We suffered a family tragedy last year, when my eldest son took his own life. He was only 19 year olds only friend and I was worried that the GP might not take my concerns seriously and put it down to grief and depression but I think I’m just going to have to bite the bullet so to speak and make him an appointment with time GP 
  • Kev2020
    Kev2020 Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    I used to teach in colleges (post 16) There will be learning support team who will help with adjustments to help with success on the course. He will also have a personal tutor who can offer support so it's worth arranging a meeting with them as soon as you can.

    Hope they helps and good luck. Let me know how you get on.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.