Soft touch for chronically ill on PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Soft touch for chronically ill on PIP

Options
Peter12345
Peter12345 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone,  I sincerely hope anyone reading this has the best year they've had so far. 
I have recently read somewhere that the dwp are stopping the constant medicals for the chronically ill with no chance of getting better. 
I myself have servre cervical and servre lumber stenosis.. 

Does anyone know what the criteria is ?  A little while ago the dwp looked at my Esa and wrote to say I had no need to be reviewed again. Well not for 10 years..   

I was just wondering if the departments talk to each other and if so could make the same arrangement re PIP with me.? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Unless you're state pension age and over, to receive a 10 year award for PIP then you need Enhanced for both parts.

For your ESA are you 100% sure that you have that award because a 10 year award doesn't exist for ESA. If you're placed into the Severe conditions group for ESA then you will not be re-assessed again ever and you'll remain in that group for as long as you're entitled to it. See link. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2017/october/guidance-work-capability-assessment-reassessment-published

May i ask when you were told that you were placed into that group? and did the letter actually state "no further reviews will be needed"

Your question asking if the departments talk to each other... ESA and PIP are completely different benefits with different criteria and claiming one doesn't entitle you to another.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Peter12345
    Peter12345 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Options
    Dear Poppy, thank you so much the message. 

I do get enhanced rates for both.   I am 51 years old now. 

My last assesment for Pip was for 3 years and that being around 2 years ago. 

Re my Esa,   you are right.
     Around 14 months ago I was due to have a medical for Esa but a week before the assessment I recieved a letter saying I was in the Severe conditions group.

• poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    Options
    No problem,

Even though you do have Enhanced for both parts of PIP your review will continue as normal and you'll be contacted 6 months before the award is due to end. Unfortunately, not everyone with Enhanced for both parts has a 10 year award. Hopefully after your next review you'll be successfully awarded and have that longer award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I thought the soft touch for PIP claimants only applies to state pensioners.
    I got my DLA to PIP award recently and got enhanced for both parts. I was told I will be reviewed in 10 years. I am 67 and have had disability payments since 2000.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi I thought the soft touch for PIP claimants only applies to state pensioners.
    I got my DLA to PIP award recently and got enhanced for both parts. I was told I will be reviewed in 10 years. I am 67 and have had disability payments since 2000.

No, it's not just those of state pension age that have a 10 year award with a light touch review, others have it too and there's a few on here that have that exact award.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.