Lost guidelines in where I can park. Help please. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lost guidelines in where I can park. Help please.

nikkif
nikkif Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
edited January 2020 in Transport and travel
Hi all I recently got my blue badge but cannot find the guidelines anywhere can you please let me know where I am allowed to park red box, yellow lines, double yellow etc and please please specify where I definitely cannot park. Thanks to those that can reply. X 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, as you have acess to the Internet you can goggle for the details you require. Just type in the sherch engine space, where can I park using a blue badge. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @nikkif.

I've found the following guidelines on the Gov site here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england

It also has information on places you can't park and a link to find parking spaces using your postcode: https://www.gov.uk/where-registered-disabled-drivers-can-park

Where can I park?

If you do not drive yourself, it is important that you share this information with anyone who will be carrying you as a passenger.

These are the parking concessions available to you as a Blue Badge holder. However, you must always check signs to see what the rules are when parking.

Yellow lines

Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours, but in general not where there are restrictions on loading or unloading – indicated by yellow kerb dashes and / or signs on plates. You may wish to check whether a particular local council has chosen to exempt Blue Badge holders from this restriction.

Where local schemes apply, such as those that apply in parts of central London, you should check the rules for that area. You are not entitled to park on yellow lines in off-street car parks.

You must display the Blue Badge and the blue parking clock showing the quarter hour period during which you arrived. You must wait for at least one hour after a previous period of parking before you can park the same vehicle in the same road or part of a road on the same day.

‘On-street’ parking meters and pay-and-display machines

Badge holders may park for free and for as long as they need to. You must display the Blue Badge.

‘On-street’ disabled parking bays - signs have a blue wheelchair symbol

You may park for free. Unless signs say otherwise, you may park without time limit. You must display the Blue Badge (and the blue parking clock if the bay is time limited). Always try to use these bays instead of parking on yellow lines.

Places you need to check before parking

There are a number of restrictions and local parking schemes which you need to be aware of. Here is a list of those places and the parking restrictions in force. If in doubt, ask the relevant council before you travel.

Off-street car parks (such as supermarket, hospital or local council car parks)

Off-street car park operators should provide parking spaces for disabled people. However, it is up to the car park owner to decide whether badge holders can park free of charge.

Do not assume you can always park for free.

The London boroughs of Kensington & Chelsea, the City of Westminster, the City of London and part of the London Borough of Camden

See Parking in central London below for further details.

Town centres where local schemes are in operation

Check local signs for information.

On-street parking areas where all motorists can park for free but only for a limited time

Badge holders may park for free and generally without time limit. However, if signs show there is also a time limit for badge holders, you must comply with the time limit shown and display your parking clock set to show the quarter hour period when you arrived at the bay.

Road systems at airports

Contact the airport in advance to check the parking arrangements.

Private roads

Do not park unless you have permission from the owner.

Red Routes (major roads in Greater London which are marked with a single or double red line)

Transport for London has general information on concessions for Blue Badge holders on roads that have priority (red) route controls. You can obtain this information by ringing them on 0845 305 1234 or by visiting their website.

There are a small number of red routes outside of London. Contact the relevant local council for advice on parking restrictions on these routes.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • nikkif
    nikkif Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    Thank you @Adrian_Scope your always a massive help, I was too scared to use anywhere other than disabled bays and it was still making it quite difficult to access certain places I really appreciate your help. Xx
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    I'm glad I could help @nikkif. Hope you're getting on okay?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.