Accessible shopping for scooters — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Accessible shopping for scooters

lisa1986
lisa1986 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Where is accessible and friendly for electric scooters

Comments

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @lisa1986
    I've just been posting for scooter recommendations on various FB groups I belong too as I'm looking for a new one for my son to take on his school coach...
    I would recommend doing some research online, you could go along to your local mobility shop but I would strongly suggest comparing the price online - the shops I'm afraid are a rip off... it could be they will price match though - I've never tried that as I've always just ordered online, with HUGE savings [hundreds of pounds...]. 
    Some models people have flagged up so far: TravelScoot, Smart Scoot, Luggie, WHILL CI, Go Go - your choice will depend on  how far you want to go, your weight etc and your budget - but I guess that's what the Mobility Component of PIP is for if you get that...
    You might find this search facility useful:
    https://www.ricability.org.uk/content/scooter-powered-wheelchair-search
    I've had a Shoprider Wispa for decades [more than one!] which suits me as I am short statured and don't need anything massive, it's also very nifty in terms of getting it on the bus etc.  My life was revolutionised after getting a mobility scooter!
    If you already have a wheelchair you can get attachments to convert them to electric with a third wheel, I don't know much about this though...
    All the best.  
    Emma
  • lisa1986
    EmmaB you have got what I was asking wrong I met a disabled woman today in a electric chair scooter and we found that lidl in camberwell isn't friendly for chairs and there are only self service check out and the queues are so long as the check outs are always bleeping and having g problems causing even m0re queues 
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya lisa1986,
    Maybe shops differ from area to area. I’m a wheelchair user and also use stores own scooters when well.Why I’m saying this is because our Lidl store is absolutely brilliant aisles are really wide, no stock on aisles, wide checkout area. All Aldi’s I avoid, horrendous, aisles full of stock ready for filling shelves, rusty attach on trollies, aisles small not a good experience.
    Our Asda, Morrisons, Tesco, all have electric scooters, aisles are accessible, checkouts hit and miss. 
    Top of my list is Lidl, this is why I say stores must differ from area to area.
    My advice is if your able to go to all in your area, that way you’ll know what suits you.
    Good luck, sorry it’s not specific advice.???

• lisa1986
    Gwendoline1 it's for a friend the lidl is brand new in camberwell there are no people serving check out just self check out 
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya lisa1986,
    What a shame, mine is brilliant. Maybe if you have time, when you go shopping next check the stores you use and see it through the eyes of a wheelchair/ scooter user. You probably already have, it’s so difficult to find a suitable place to shop comfortably.
    Ive found the large stores have it all, that’s great, but prices are so much cheap in stores the likes of Lidl. Everyone likes a bargain and a way to save a few pounds.
    I hope your friend is lucky ???
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Ah I see... I haven't ever had a problem.  There must be someone around to attend to the self service check outs as they are ALWAYS going wrong / asking you to wait for an assistant!  I've always found such assistants to be very helpful if I've got stuck - because I'm short statured I often can't reach all the self service screen for example... I've never come across a shop without an assistant to be honest.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lisa1986 and a warm welcome to the community!

Here is AccessAble which might help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.