ESA being underpaid — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA being underpaid

vicki23 Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, i know this is quite an old tread, my partner was on IB and switched over to ESA contribution based but was working prior to becoming ill. We havent heard any thing about being underpaid. I noticed from the thread there is a form people have been filling in. Can i get a copy of this please. 
Thanks Vicki 


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @vicki23   Pleased to meet you.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise help members of our community.

    Please we have a member of our community champions team who may be able to advise further.

    Has a lot of knowledge and expertise.

    @poppy123456 please my friend can I ask you to advise this lady.

    Hopeful be in touch.

    Please have a look around our forum, website we are friendly.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,707 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Thank you to my friend @thespiceman for the tag.

    Hi and welcome @vicki23

    DWP are in the process of contacting everyone that transferred across from IB to ESA and they will eventually contact your partner by sending him the form to fill in.

    Whether he's entitled to any backdated money will depend on his circumstances. Which group was he placed into when he transferred to ESA. Were you claiming ESA as a couple or was it just his claim? If he was claiming just for his self were you working or claiming any other benefits? If you were working how many hours per week were you working, if not what other benefits were you claiming. Was he claiming a transitional support protection when he transferred across. It will also depend on savings/capital, so lots of things to assess him on before a decision can be made.

    Once they do contact him and he returns the forms a decision can take about 20 weeks, maybe longer. Not everyone that transferred across were under paid. Some have been assessed and not owed anything and others have been owed money.

    Hope this helps. Any further questions please do ask.
  • vicki23
    vicki23 Member Posts: 3 Listener

    Hello thank you for your reply.

    He was placed in the support group and has been in it ever since 2011 since going onto ESA. He claimed as an individual as I was trying to work full time as we had a shared ownership mortgage, I was unable to claim any benefits as always borderline so I had to make ends meet. He also was claiming DLA which was middle rate and lower rate. When he was assessed they said he couldn't work due to being unpredictable. I was working full time but only on a low income.

    We have never had any capital as its always been a struggle, robbing peter to pay Paul.

    I am not sure what you mean by transitional support protection? All I know he was working full time and went of sick and ended up on IB, then switched him to contribution based in the support group which he has been on ever since 2011. We have never received an additional money or premiums. just flat rate ESA in support group.

    Thanks Vicki

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,707 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem,

    Unfortunately, as you were working full time, even though it was low income then he wouldn't have been entitled to any income related top up for the whole time you were working full time. Have you been working since he started his ESA claim? If so was it full time or less hours?

    The Income related top up (premiums) are means tested and your earnings are classed as income when calculating any means tested benefits.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.