Tips and gadgets for deteriorating vision and MS — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tips and gadgets for deteriorating vision and MS

adele86
adele86 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have multiple disabilities and I am always looking for ways/gadgets to help me to be the best I can.

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    A warm welcome to the community @adele86
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @adele86 - Thank you for joining the community. As far as gadgets go, I have bought several times from this company: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/    Nows as to the ways, I'm unsure what they may be as you haven't given us a lot to go on! Might you say a little more as to what aspects you'd like to find people's experiences of here?

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @adele86 is there anything in specific you are looking for? I definitely recommend the website that @chiarieds has suggested :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • adele86
    adele86 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, 

So thank you for all the welcomes firstly. So my main disabilities are relapsing remitting MS and i have eye deterioration as well. So at the moment my eyesight in regards to using computer and reading are where i would like suggestions, as recently it got worse and as i use a computer for my job i am looking for things to make it easier and cause less strain on my eyes.

Thank you for any suggestions.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you use a screen reader? I will tag @Ryan_Assistive and @Andy_Assistive to see what they can suggest :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Andy_Scope
    Andy_Scope Scope Posts: 47 Courageous
    edited January 2020
    Hi @adele86
    The first thing I'd suggest is talk to Access to Work from DWP about getting support in your job, they can provide your employer with financial support for reasonable adjustments and advise both of you on suitable things that can help you.  Info on the process is available on the DWP site https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work  and on Scope's site here. Without knowing specifically how your eyesight is being affected and knowing what kit you are using I can only suggest general advice such as making things bigger, changing colours so they create less glare, using built in accessibility features on the device you are using (phone or tablets especially) and thinking about using a screen reader to listen to the content rather than looking at it to read it. 
    Scope has info here about assistive technology and RNIB has info here and they have an online shop that has a range of devices that can be really useful for day to day stuff. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @adele86 and a very warm welcome to the community! I too have deteriorating eyesight and have only just made the switch to audio alternatives, it's been a learning process but it has helped a lot with eye strain!

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.