Medical — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


jgardier72 Member Posts: 5 Listener
had my medical in sept only just heard what’s happening. I have limited capability to work and I don’t have to send any more doc certs is this good or bad news my concentration is a bad today


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,602 Disability Gamechanger

    Limited capability for work means that you won't receive any extra money in your UC payments. It also means that you'll be placed into the work preparation group, what is expected of you will depend on your claimant commitments. You will be expected to take reasonable steps to prepare for work sometime in the future and it's possible you'll have to attend appointments.

    If you disagree with the decision then you have 1 month to request the mandatory reconsideration.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @jgardier72,

    There are 2 different elements relating to Limited capability for Work.

    The lower one, Limited Capability for Work (LCW) and the higher one which is called the Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (LCWRA). You only get an extra payment if you are in the second group. 
  • jgardier72
    jgardier72 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    It only says limited capability for work and it’s uc
  • jgardier72
    jgardier72 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I am waiting for referrals at mo as doc thinks I need 3 ops I want to appeal but don’t no how to and have mixed appeals up2 date 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,602 Disability Gamechanger
    Future appointments are not classed as evidence.

    The first step to an appeal is the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) before requesting this i'd advise you to get some face to face advice from an agency near you. There's criteria to be placed into the LCWRA and there's no point requesting the MR if the criteria doesn't apply to you and it's impossible to advise on an internet forum because no one knows how your conditions affect you.

    If you do decide to request it do be aware that although most of those decisions remain the same, you do risk losing everything you already have, of course your award could also increase.

    Your request should be put in writing stating why you think you should be placed into the LCWRA group and your reasons why.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.