How do I get a life? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I get a life?

Bearheart
Bearheart Community member Posts: 9 Listener
After more than 10 years of living hell battling chronic anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts and attempts, loss, bereavement and even obtaining a criminal record through bad decisions made while I'll. How on earth will I ever get my life back on track at the age of 52? No employer is going to look at me twice. I feel totally hopeless!

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bearheart

Good Morning & Welcome to our Online Community.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Sorry to hear about your troubles over the past 10 years.

Yes I am in my 50’s as well & my “Chronic Problem’s” started in 1998.

Are you still having “Suicidal Thoughts” 

If so please please contact the number below:

Samaritans:  116 123

Have you got a local “CAB Office” as they will be able to point you in the right direction.

.We have also got a helpline: 0808 800 3333.

Please please let me know if you have any further problems ????

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bearheart - Welcome to the community; I'm pleased you've joined, & thank you for sharing about yourself.
    If you are hoping to get back into work there's information here on Scope. see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/ Also Scope's 'Support to Work' programme: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work/
    Perhaps look at some voluntary work also, which also might be a path to getting paid work. There are options, & you are still young!
    I'll also ask my friend thespiceman for his advice. We'll all support you in this community too, so I hope this is a new beginning for you to stay well & look after yourself.

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Bearheart   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you to my friend @chiarieds for asking me to be involved in this members post.

Please I am one of the team of Community Champions.

I have a mental health history and addiction history. I am disabled myself.

Please if you can read this information carefully. Much of this is helpful, advice and guidance.

I do understand as the Community does what you going through.

I have thirty years old qualifications and have been there to give you a lot of reassurance and self esteem.

Please have a look at these mental health charities.

All offer the following, mental health and wellbeing, benefit advice, guidance on employment issues.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

The first charity Richmond Fellowship works with employers often supported. Also have a programme involving the recognition of those with mental health.

Who might wish to work for the charity , many support workers are former clientele.

One other point, I had to change my direction used hobbies, interests and other leisure interests to look at employment.

Had with addiction used the foodie knowledge to get qualifications.

This is something I would add make a list of skills, qualities abilities you have knowledge, education, talents probably never thought of.

I left highly paid Civil Service jobs to run a business.

Another suggestion, something satisfying.  

Understand you have a past history many employers are out there.

Have this one this an agency for those of our Community.

https://www.evenbreak.co.uk.

Volunteering another one any charity, associations or societies connected with your health conditions always looking for people.

I used to volunteer in mental health charities in the kitchens or as a general support .

Learnt a lot, get and obtain support, became a godsend.

Other ones created herb gardens all these areas of this country have resource centres or disability centres.

All want volunteer gardeners, many grow there own food, a few hours a week.  Never know what has and can happen.

Some have courses, Art, Maths, English lifestyle courses if join that look at practical or lifestyle ones.

Council have many wellbeing service. Community Health Unit.

Please I am sorry to hear having suicidal thoughts please I hope you consider the information my friend..

@steve51 has suggested .

Please if I can help or need to ask me any thing happy to be helping.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hi @Bearheart and a very warm welcome to the community, it's great to have you here.

I really hope you find the Scope Employment Services helpful that has been linked above. 

Can I ask if you've talked about these thoughts with someone qualified and able to help you? There are a number of talking services out there such as Samaritans (116 123) and CALM (0800 58 58 58) which might be able to help you, but you might also benefit from using a text service such as Shout (you can access this by texting 85258 to SHOUT).

There's also charities such as Mind who have some resources on tackling 
    suicidal thoughtsRethink who might offer some local support or the Stay Alive app which is a useful resource on its own.

If at any time you feel like you might be in immediate danger, please call 999 or go to your local hospital.

I hope to see you around and please do let us know if there is anything we can do. :)

Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I guess it will be hard to find employment if your record debars you from certain jobs or voluntary work.

Will your crime be `spent` after so many years? I know that can happen in some circumstances.

Is there not a body which helps people with a record find employment?. Perhaps even break, which Spiceman has mentioned.

Do you have a helpful GP who would point you in the right direction for your mental well being?
    Best wishes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.